Gentlemen's Attire

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA zone 8, RHS rating H4-H5
Country
United Kingdom
"Madras pants have plenty of color."

I like madras trousers, but they're too intense for me as I generally prefer something understated. Plus I don't think I've ever seen anyone rocking them here in the UK! I do however have a couple of really light madras shirts from Joseph Turner of Yorkshire, almost feels like I'm not wearing anything and they're a great alternative to a fine cotton/polo shirt under a jacket in early Autumn/late Spring! I've bought a few chambray shirts from the same company and they seem quite seasonally versatile, cool enough for Summer with a blazer but warm enough for Winter under a heavy Harris Tweed jacket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I always used a Modified Windsor knot - over and under twice - it looks more balanced and it doesn't slip. Used to wear them every day. It's like riding a bike - you never foregt how to tie one. Haven't worn a tie in years, though I still have a sizable collection, including bow ties (clips ons - I'm not going there!), to go with my tux - which I haven't worn in years either. Sadly, I will have to again shortly for the memorial service of a departed friend. (Those of you who are Elks will know what I am talking about.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom

Nothing new in fashion, my wife knitted me this in the late seventies.

img009.jpg

I'm standing in the garden of our house in Marford, between Chester and Wrexham. The line of trees beyond the farmland, marks the position of the the main Road.
I believe there is now a housing estate covering the fields you can see behind me can see.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1700's was when magazines first took off. I came across one article from that period that argued 'Pink, being based on red, is much too strong a colour for girls. It should be reserved for boys and girls given softer colours such as blue'.

Back when button down collars first became fashionable I remember being told by a friend who managed a clothes shop to avoid them, "They are an invention of people who don't know how to cut a collar so it sits properly". I won't say it is always true, but there is a strong element of truth in it in my experience.

I do like a good, silk tie, before the pandemic I was a regular in the charity shops, it always amazed me that one could find anything made of silk so cheap. I have also had more than one jacket with sewn up pockets and spare buttons that has never been worn and cost under a tenner instead of around £100.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've been buying and wearing Ben Sherman button down shirts for decades. I must have at least a dozen each of both short and long sleeves. All mostly small checks and a few self coloured.
I've not bought any for about ten years as I've enough to, "see me out."
I like to iron them myself. I do use a bit of spray starch on the collars. I've never found any problems with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbych

Latest Threads