Gentlemen's Attire

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Should the sport shirt be tucked in or tucked out?

The trend in "untucked shirts" started in America where the increasing girth of the general male population lead to this sort of "tucked"
situation, demonstrated by a line judge in the women's final at Wimbledon yesterday. Not a pretty sight.

P1050964.JPG

I still have a waist, so I wear my Ben Sherman shirts "tucked," usually into chinos, supported by my Ben Sherman leather belt. You can still pose a bit, even at my age.

As a member of a golf club, I'm used to the on course etiquette for men, which is shirts with collars and tails "tucked."
Though our pro shop is useless in checking what visitors are wearing who come in to pay before they play.

Until a few years ago jeans were not "permitted attire" for men in the clubhouse.

As I guess in many golf clubs, "women members and female visitors wear what they like anywhere."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
The History of the Top Hat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Some women have seen pictures of William, Prince of Wales like the following:

One lady declared: 'William would do up a button on his shirt. I don't want to see his chest hair.'
A second lady remarked: 'Or wear an undershirt. Or do men even wear them anymore?'

Reminded me of one of the 1970s episodes of "Come Dancing" BBC 4 recently screened.

In one episode there were thee judges standing on the dance floor with their big cards giving the score for a couple of dancers in the "modern" section. Two were in the usual attire of evening dress. The one in the middle with bushy hair, wore white flares, a blue velvet jacket over an open-necked white shirt, with his chest hair showing. It made me laugh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kasia

Latest Threads