Garlic, the wonder crop

Reaction score
In a rough growing season where it winter wouldn't leave and we are going in spurts of real hot then too cool confusing the crops, I am very thankful for my garlic which had produced extremely well.

Haven't figured out just how to make a meal totally around garlic but it's nice to have one crop that didn't have problems.

Reaction score
I really love garlic and it's so good for your heart. Right now I purchase garlic at the store. In the past I made garlic bread and it was really delicious.

Reaction score
I like to roast the garlic in the oven. I just cut it half, put it on the foil and then drizzle it with a bit of olive oil. Then I squeeze it on toasted french bread, meat of any kind, even on baked potatoes. We love garlic at my house and it goes into almost everything we cook. A day without garlic at my house is like a day without sunshine!

Reaction score
Garlic goes with anything

I would disagree - as although where I live - garlic is a main ingredient in just above every meal we eat and is used to flavor oils and vinegars too - we do draw the line at using it to flavor sweet things
Smiley - YUK - female smiley.gif

To be honest - even with my vivid imagination - I can't even begin to imagine what garlic flavored cakes, biscuits and desserts must taste like.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Garlic does have a very strong aroma to those that have sensitive nose. I walked by a guy in the store the other day that had such a strong smell of garlic that it took my breath away. I have some galic powder that has a strong smell that I keep wrapped in a baggie to reduce the smell to me. The weather has been hard on the plants this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I've never been a big fan of garlic. I can't stand its taste. Maybe I'm a vampire, lol;) But I know garlic has many health benefits.
My grandfather loves it. He eats it almost every day:confused:

Reaction score
I would disagree - as although where I live - garlic is a main ingredient in just above every meal we eat and is used to flavor oils and vinegars too - we do draw the line at using it to flavor sweet things View attachment 3550

To be honest - even with my vivid imagination - I can't even begin to imagine what garlic flavored cakes, biscuits and desserts must taste like.

That depends on where you are from. Garlic in biscuits (not cookies) is delicious as anyone ever having been to Red Lobster will attest. I'm not so sure about cakes though...

Reaction score
That depends on where you are from. Garlic in biscuits (not cookies) is delicious as anyone ever having been to Red Lobster will attest. I'm not so sure about cakes though...

Yes we put garlic in crackers and breads too - in fact in just about anything savory - but never ever in anything sweet and yes by biscuits - I had actually meant to say cookies :D

Reaction score
I love garlic, it really comes with a lot health properties and goes well almost with everything. Whenever I make something that is going to have meat or chicken in it I use garlic.

It helps to improve the taste of the meat greatly. I love it! Great for sauces of every kind tho.

Reaction score
I use it for so much but right now I'm just loving it because it grew with no problems in an otherwise touchy year for gardening with the weather being a pain.

It's also needed for my pesto and since I grow basil inside and out, even though my outdoor plants died off, I have plenty of basil.

My husband says I sound too much like a farmer. I told him fix the weather and I'd stop complaining.

Reaction score
I use garlic in almost of all my dishes to my family dismay and i especially like the taste of a hot slice of garlic bread as it taste divine.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Garlic really does enhance the flavor of any savory dish, it's amazing! It is difficult to center a dish around garlic itself though. Perhaps if you had giant cloves of elephant garlic you could oven roast them and eat it on its own.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Garlic really does enhance the flavor of any savory dish, it's amazing! It is difficult to center a dish around garlic itself though. Perhaps if you had giant cloves of elephant garlic you could oven roast them and eat it on its own.

I love it as well. From browning meats to adding extra tang to spaghetti, Garlic is a wonderful go between for herbs and spices such as salt and pepper. It's also a very healthy alternative to the way most people douse everything in one type of sauce because a little garlic can go a LONG way. Make sure to not overkill with it.

Ask a Question