5 August 2018 Garlic (Trimming for storage)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
5 August 2018 Garlic (Trimming for storage)
Posted on August 5, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/August 2018/5 August 2018 Garlic/HTML/ 5 August 2018 Garlic
The garlic 2018 crop was trimmed for storage. There are 112 blbs, 6510 grams equating to 14 pounds. They are stored in an open container in a root cellar in the basement and they keep for about 6 plus months.

The bulbils were set aside and will be used for growing rounds for next years crop. There are many bulbils in one scape capsule. Some bulbs have a split outer skin which happens if left in the ground.The spit bulbs store exactly like an intact skin. My harvest takes place after splitting, but this year they stopped growing so all did not get split before harvest. I have found the cloves get slightly larger if left in the ground and splitting is allowed to take place. Leaving the scapes on appears to have no effect on bulb size. I don’t use the scapes so leave them on until harvest about mid July in Zone 5.

garlic%20019_std.jpg

Ask a Question