Garlic, the wonder crop

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Globulon, roast a whole head of garlic until the cloves are very soft and then squeeze a clove onto a slice of toasted baguette. The roasting sweetens the garlic and takes away some of the "tang" without destroying the flavor, and it tastes delicious! I use regular garlic, not elephant for this.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Globulon, roast a whole head of garlic until the cloves are very soft and then squeeze a clove onto a slice of toasted baguette. The roasting sweetens the garlic and takes away some of the "tang" without destroying the flavor, and it tastes delicious! I use regular garlic, not elephant for this.

Thanks for the tip, marlingardener. Never really thought to use baked garlic as a spread. I'll have to try this the next time I make a whole bunch of garlic!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can use the garlic as a spread, or toast it like they mentioned and crumble it into a dip. I like to do this with french-onion dip which already hints at the garlic flavor, or in cream cheese for bagels.

Reaction score
There has been so much in the media lately about how good garlic is for you, not that it wasn't known for a long time, but I ran across something I didn't know before and wanted to share with you.

The benefits of garlic are greatly diminished when it is cooked! Since finding this out I add it to most things after it is done cooking. I run it through a garlic press and stir it in. Yes, it does pack more punch that way but oh garlic is so yummy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
There has been so much in the media lately about how good garlic is for you, not that it wasn't known for a long time, but I ran across something I didn't know before and wanted to share with you.

The benefits of garlic are greatly diminished when it is cooked! Since finding this out I add it to most things after it is done cooking. I run it through a garlic press and stir it in. Yes, it does pack more punch that way but oh garlic is so yummy!

The current dogma is use garlic raw and insure it is pressed. I tried a 30 day trial eating a crushed clove each night, primarily so the odour wouldn't be excessively present during the day time when around people. I received no perceivable benefits. Hence I abandoned the experiment. However I tend to like the flavor and use it often when cooking trying to not cook,heat, excessively.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love using garlic in my dishes about as much as I love using onions. I swear that garlic is the reason why I do not get sick very often. It is good for cleaning out your system and tastes great in dishes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
One thing about cooking garlic: you see so many folk chuck it in at the start, then fry onions, etc. and then add this, then add that.
By the time you do that, your garlic is overcooked and bitter.
If you're making a stew or sauce where you sautee or caramelise, or clarify, add the garlic at the last minute, just before the main liquid goes in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I love to add crushed garlic to cream cheese with onion powder and a dash of zatar seasoning that includes sesame seeds (yum yum). I love to put it on homemade bread or a bagel. Really a delicious mid-day snack or breakfast. We use garlic everyday and I am never without it. I am growing it for the first time and very excited!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How about garlic soup?

I have a few garlic plants growing that made it through the winter and are miraculously still alive in a planter. With all the rain we have had over the past few days I will be amazed if it continues to thrive. My fingers are crossed as it will be the first time for me to have successfully grown my own garlic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How about garlic soup?

I have a few garlic plants growing that made it through the winter and are miraculously still alive in a planter. With all the rain we have had over the past few days I will be amazed if it continues to thrive. My fingers are crossed as it will be the first time for me to have successfully grown my own garlic.

Amazing that they survived through the winter, did you get any snow where you live? I think that garlic soup would be amazing, but I bet it would take a lot of gum or mints to get rid of the breath issues afterward:p. If I had my way I would eat garlic all the time because it tastes good and cleans out your system

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Amazing that they survived through the winter, did you get any snow where you live? I think that garlic soup would be amazing, but I bet it would take a lot of gum or mints to get rid of the breath issues afterward:p. If I had my way I would eat garlic all the time because it tastes good and cleans out your system

I never worry about garlic breath :)

I love that it is good for me and tastes good also. It rarely ever snows here, but even if it did, I've had a greenhouse for the past two years so that wouldn't be a big problem for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Garlic is quite hardy, so with ChanellG getting such a mild winter where she lives, it is no surprise that her garlic has survived.
Further, since the garlic is in a planter, it'll drain better there than in the ground, so is better placed to survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Garlic is quite hardy, so with ChanellG getting such a mild winter where she lives, it is no surprise that her garlic has survived.
Further, since the garlic is in a planter, it'll drain better there than in the ground, so is better placed to survive.

I had a peek outside in between the rain and it's looking pretty good. Can't tell if it's forming bulbs or not, but the plants seem healthy. Been wanting to give the veg plants some fish emulsion, but with all the rain I was afraid it would just get washed away.

Ask a Question