Garlic Chopper

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2016/January 2016/3 January 2016 Garlic Chopper/HTML/ 3 January 2016 Garlic Chopper
Garlic Chopper: To maximize health benefits, crush the garlic at room temperature and allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes or longer. The process triggers an enzyme reaction that boosts the healthy compounds in garlic.To make smaller pieces I was using a mortar and pestle, but found it too tedious and not an adequate result,so purchased an OXO Food Chopper. This is achieves the desired result with minimum effort.

My method is to separate the cloves from the bulb, cut the hard piece off the end of the clove if desired. Crush the clove with skin by pressing down on the tortilla press without using the handle. Remove the skin easily. Scrap into the container for the OXO Food Chopper. Complete for all cloves.Push the handle of the chopper a number of times to get the desired texture. Let stand for at least 15 minutes or longer before using. If cooking use low heat and fry for a few minutes to eliminate the hot stinging taste effect. It may be used raw in salads or other dishes. There are hand garlic presses similar to pliers, that do not function well and are awkward to clean.Take the OXO Food Chopper apart and clean under running water immediately after use.It may also be placed in a dishwasher if desired, but running water cleaning and air drying is adequate.
dsc_81443%20january%202016%20garlic%20chopper_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Durgan, I have several pieces of OXO equipment and dearly love and frequently use each and every one. That chopper is next on my "to get" list!
I crush the cloves with my chef's knife--just put the clove under the flat side of the blade, and press. Saves having to wash a masher like the tortilla press (which I don't have, anyway).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I studied long and hard before buying the chopper.The reviews were a strong incentive. I try to eat about three garlic bulbs per week or even more and found processing them to be tedious. My depicted setup appear to be ideal particularly if processing a large quantity. Removing the skin with the tortilla press is a large part of the processing. Running water and a wipe makes cleaning easy. It really works well. For one or two cloves hand processing with a knife is adequate. Clean-up under running water immediately after using is also most attractive and effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the hand squeeze garlic chopping tool but I don't use it often. I rather crush them with the flatness of the knife to save myself from washing just one more item :) I also have very limited space in the cupboard so I am downgrading big time.

Reaction score
I had a garlic chopper but I am only using this if I will be cooking many foods when there is an upcoming family gathering in the house and this is really very useful to me.

But for my everyday cooking I am just using a plastic mortar and pestle like this one which I always find very comfortable using when I am cooking.

This is a Korean Plastic Mortar and Pestle...

mortarandpestle-590x484.jpg

Ask a Question