Garlic 2021 season

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Can you tell me if this elephant garlic is hard neck or soft neck. I've been raising it from the same stock for about 30 years.
Garlic 1.5 lb. 6-2-12 .jpg.JPG
garlic hand size 6-2-12.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Copied: The leek is a vegetable, a cultivar of Allium ampeloprasum, the broadleaf wild leek. The edible part of the plant is a bundle of leaf sheaths that is sometimes erroneously called a stem or stalk. The genus Allium also contains the onion, garlic, shallot, scallion, chive, and Chinese onion.
I can't recall a Leek having a bloom on a stalk 5 ft. tall as in my avatar, but most anything is possible in other parts of the earth. As said on Shark Tank, I'm out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1604598245512.png
Some of our leeks went to seed. Zigs often forgets to crop them in time :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
SeniorCitizen, that looks like the hard neck garlic we plant. We don't plant elephant garlic, just regular garlic. But if you've been growing it for 30 years, whatever you are doing is successful, so keep on growing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
When crushed and then analyzed using a DART ion source, elephant garlic has been shown to produce both allicin, found in garlic, and syn-propanethial-S-oxide (onion lachrymatory factor), found in onion and leek, but absent in garlic, consistent with the classification of elephant garlic as a closer relative of leek than of garlic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, that clarifies a lot of possible misunderstanding. I often think that it doesn`t matter how long I have been gardening (hundreds of years) there is always going to be something else I can learn.
A really good snippet for ''over the garden fence'' chatter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Calling a plant a leek that smells like garlic, looks like garlic, tastes like garlic and grows like garlic brings up a question. Why is a Peanut called a peanut when it is truly not a nut at all but Legume.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look what I found whilst looking for recipes ! My old mum used to say ''he who lives longest will know most''

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
The Elephant Garlic being closely related to the Leek isn't recent news to me. Nearly 40 years ago, on a popular state university weekly gardening site, that was mentioned by a gardening expert that was probably 30 years my senior at the time of the show.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just stuck my cloves into the wet ground about an inch without digging and covered them with 2 inches of half finished composted cow manure and covered with it with straw. Hope they grow
I planted some garlic clove sections that sprouted in my fridge! I waited a season and they grew to a very large whole bulb! You can do the same thing with an onion that sprouts! Gardening rocks!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dug the first two varieties :)

Solent Wight on the Left and Carcassone Wight on the right.

DSC06245.JPG

Ask a Question