DSC03262.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be about the same for one lot, the Carcassonne Wight. Not done the November and February planting as advised with the others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
You two got me wanting to grow garlic again. I'm just not organized enough to this year - still learning where I want things in my new garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a newbe at growing garlic but I had ordered some cloves mostly softneck. Have a raised bed 4x12 ft. and 9 in deep. Its loaded with Beets, 10 different kind of lettuce and Arugula and other stuff. I was wondering if garlic could be grown in grow bags as I have a lot of 3,5 and 10 gal. left over. I had good results with grow bags for summers veggies. May be asking a few more dumb questions about garlic. But, remember " The only dumb question was the one that was never asked". Thanks for your anticipated help in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@tim41 I can't answer the question as I have only grown hardneck garlic in raised beds but...

Where are you located zone wise?

A big part of this will revolve around how cold you get in the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in Sussex County, Delaware. Rehoboth Beach, Lewes area. Close to Ocean City, MD.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Cut your grow bags halfway along the length, then turn the halves on their sides, boring 4x 1/4" holes 2" from the bottom.
Plant your cloves 3" apart after amending the compost in them with one handful of woodash and one handful of either fish/blood/bone or poultry manure pellets.

One further handful of manure pellets or FBB in the Spring when growth starts up again: one final handful early-mid May to feed whilst your garlic bulbs up.

Garlic does not need as much water as some folks think, but try not to let it dry out too completely.

In order to give your garlic the best chance, add a little soluble mycorrhizal fungi 2 weeks after planting. (This two weeks is to allow the cloves to start roots, which the myco can colonise)

I usually use my best six cloves from my best six bulbs, which often gives me decent bulbs, but I moved home last autumn & didn't get any planted, so I've started again from scratch, planting two softneck (Solent Wight) & 2 hardneck (Kingsland) bulbs.
I plant mine 1st week October.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Got my first lot in :)

DSC03407.JPG
DSC03408.JPG
DSC03409.JPG

6 inches between the cloves, 2 inches deep, pointy end up :D

Will plant the Solent Wight next month, a foot between the rows.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I just stuck my cloves into the wet ground about an inch without digging and covered them with 2 inches of half finished composted cow manure and covered with it with straw. Hope they grow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine get 4" between them 9" between rows.
Shhh !! Don`t tell him I told you, but he said he`s got a bigger hoe than you :giggle:

I just stuck my cloves into the wet ground about an inch without digging and covered them with 2 inches of half finished composted cow manure and covered with it with straw. Hope they grow

Welcome to the forum @Welleb and good luck with the garlic (y)
1603962397564.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As if :rolleyes: bees - as if............. Just more gung hoe than the rest. '' New from Digadoo, The GUNG HOE cuts ahead where lesser hoes fear to tread!''

Ask a Question