Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
10 September 2020 Garlic Bed
Posted on September 10, 2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2020/_September 2020_/10 September 2020 Garlic Bed/HTML/ 10 September 2020 Garlic Bed
Garlic is planted in October in my Zone 5.The bed is now being prepared.Planted with be about 100 cloves, some bulbils,some
rounds, and some cloves from last years rounds.Th planted garlic overwinters in the ground and comes up through the mulch in early Spring.The new material will be added to the seed stock to sort of refresh the supply.The planting area was rototilled, a layer of compost added and rotilled in, and boards laid out for the rows. The area was then covered with wood chip mulch for moisture retention.The planting will be about the middle of October, and harvest will be August 2021, The wood chip mulch is ten dollars a yard and I transport it in my van in a half yard box. About 7 wheelbarrows. Generally the bed is not touched until harvest.The garlic is usually perfect and nothing attacks.
dsc_5435_std.jpg

Ask a Question