Gardening with limited space

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience gardening with limited space? I have always lived in the country, but I am wondering how people in the city utilize space. My friend has numerous boxes built for her plants that she keeps on the roof; it's quite amazing really. We do need to squeeze through the kitchen window to access her hand built garden, but it's great. What are your experiences; are you located in the city or in the country?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Although our garden is really big, I prefer to grow my miniature roses indoors. Unfortunately, my room is small, I have only one window and I'm running out of space on my windowsill. I think that I should build a new one:cool: I'm not sure how to do it yet, but I already look for planks:)

Reaction score
You're lucky that you have a big garden; there's so many options when you have space. I agree with you about having certain plants indoors. It's nice to enjoy your plants both while inside and outside. It's also extremely healthy to keep plants throughout your home. Good luck with the new windowsill, if I come across any tips I will let you know.

Reaction score
I'm located in the suburbs and have 1 acre. Not all of it is suitable for gardening, though. I really want to live in a rural area and buy as much acreage as I can afford. A lot of it would be used for orchards and veggie/fruit plots.

Many people with very little land do square foot gardening in raised beds because it's a space saver. Actually, even some people with a lot of land do. I probably will too even when I have dozens of acres because it can't hurt to save space and have nice, neat organized beds.

Reaction score
There are numerous things that you can do when having to garden in a limited space - especially as there are now even plant varieties specially breed with this mind - like dwarf trees and fruit bushes - as well as bush or hanging tomatoes, zucchini and peppers etc - together with the numerous containers designed for this purpose like wall mounted or hanging containers and of course all the various types of stacking containers - which when all put together make it very possible to grow a wide range of plants in a small area :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have enough space to grow what I like to grow and I use containers to limit the amount of weeding I need to do. My flowers are always in containers.

I think most people that have limited space will use containers to give them more space to grow their gardens.

Ask a Question