Gardening in the heat of summer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here on the Gulf Coast (even though I'm quite a ways inland) summer gardening means dealing with rain patterns that may provide too much or even too little water to your plants. As much as I love the extra daylight hours, it can be brutal on my garden where plants don't get the right balance of shade from the afternoon sun and moisture.

I'm lucky in that all of my plants are in containers, which makes it easier to move them around in order to find just the right spot to give them the proper amount of sun at the proper time of day. My street points South, something I've never even thought about until now, and the sun starts it's journey across my garden in the back yard at full force first thing in the morning.

The only shade is from a Japanese Magnolia which provides a nice canopy at some parts of the day and the shadow of the house as the sun moves around. One thing I noticed last year (also for the first time) was that where the sun hits the yard at certain times of day changes.

I've placed some drip pans under plants that wilt easily and I tend to overwater them slightly, which has helped, but I feel my plants are in constant danger of severe sun burn.

What are your summer garden challenges?

Reaction score
The erratic weather in Connecticut has been problematic in terms of temps and rain. I have a lot of potted plants but I am able to protect them from too much sun. I have had issues with insects this year, more than I have in a while and also with diseases. Still, I have managed to hold them off and things are growing and producing.

Reaction score
Have you considered using some sort of temporary tent (or gazebo) that could be erected to give the plants some relief during the day? I'm thinking of a really cheap solution, nothing fancy or pretty at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you considered using some sort of temporary tent (or gazebo) that could be erected to give the plants some relief during the day? I'm thinking of a really cheap solution, nothing fancy or pretty at all.
Shade cloth is fairly cheap and it works well in intense heat and sun

Reaction score
Growing anything where I live can be a challenge at the best of times - due to the fact that we only have two very different climate extremes and nothing in between and although I've overcome most of the challenges - like for instance getting the plants in my south facing garden - that has no additional shade other than that of tree canopies and buildings - to survive our long hot dry summers and withstand at least 12 long hours a day of some of the most intense sunlight in the world due to its high solar gain - whilst coping with severe drought and temperatures that average around 40 - 48 degrees centigrade plus - the biggest challenge for me - apart from how to make sure that I have enough water to keep the plants going until the next rains come and how to stop my water melons from exploding - is how to stop the gardener from flopping when working in these conditions :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Growing anything where I live can be a challenge at the best of times - due to the fact that we only have two very different climate extremes and nothing in between and although I've overcome most of the challenges - like for instance getting the plants in my south facing garden - that has no additional shade other than that of tree canopies and buildings - to survive our long hot dry summers and withstand at least 12 long hours a day of some of the most intense sunlight in the world due to its high solar gain - whilst coping with severe drought and temperatures that average around 40 - 48 degrees centigrade plus - the biggest challenge for me - apart from how to make sure that I have enough water to keep the plants going until the next rains come and how to stop my water melons from exploding - is how to stop the gardener from flopping when working in these conditions :D
Ain't that the truth. I do most of my hot weather gardening sitting on a bench under a shade tree drinking beer. Hey, don't scold me, I'm old:rolleyes:

Reaction score
My biggest issue usually is the same as yours. Trying to get the right balance of sun and shade. If I don't like the way a plant is looking I'll move it to a different location for a couple days to see how it does. If it does better well then we've got a winner lol.

Reaction score
Ain't that the truth. I do most of my hot weather gardening sitting on a bench under a shade tree drinking beer. Hey, don't scold me, I'm old:rolleyes:

I too have tried that - but unfortunately - even though I have a bench that is situated in total shade and was designed especially for that purpose - all attempts to use it have failed - as my bench normally stops me from sitting on it - as every time I try - it burns my butt :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I too have tried that - but unfortunately - even though I have a bench that is situated in total shade and was designed especially for that purpose - all attempts to use it have failed - as my bench normally stops me from sitting on it - as every time I try - it burns my butt :(
This is a blistering topic. Umm, perhaps asbestos walking shorts?

Reaction score
This is a blistering topic. Umm, perhaps asbestos walking shorts?

It is :D but hmmm - asbestos walking shorts - I think not - as apart from the fact that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near any form of asbestos - I feel more than sure that asbestos is not only known for its heat resistant properties but also for its insulating properties too - the latter of which - I think I could probably only equate with - those few odd occasions that I've accidentally hit the heated seated button in the car - on some of the hottest days of the year :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is :D but hmmm - asbestos walking shorts - I think not - as apart from the fact that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near any form of asbestos - I feel more than sure that asbestos is not only known for its heat resistant properties but also for its insulating properties too - the latter of which - I think I could probably only equate with - those few odd occasions that I've accidentally hit the heated seated button in the car - on some of the hottest days of the year :D
Since the bench is too hot for proper gardening contemplation and wine/beer drinking I think it would be proper if you slung a hammock under that shade tree. As you know, thinking about pulling weeds and wondering if something needs watering is an exausting mental exercise and a properly hung hammock is a great stress reliever.

I don't think the asbestos shorts, after thinking about it, is a good idea either. They might tend to be a tad itchy

Reaction score
Since the bench is too hot for proper gardening contemplation and wine/beer drinking I think it would be proper if you slung a hammock under that shade tree. As you know, thinking about pulling weeds and wondering if something needs watering is an exausting mental exercise and a properly hung hammock is a great stress reliever.

I don't think the asbestos shorts, after thinking about it, is a good idea either. They might tend to be a tad itchy

Oh I couldn't agree more - I don't think that there could be any better way of contemplating what needs doing in the garden than by lazing around in the luxury of a properly hung hammock whilst sipping an ice cold drink

Unfortunately its never been something that has ever been very possible for me - due to the fact that a lot of mini tornadoes and strong whirl winds have a habit of crossing over my property at regular intervals throughout the day - which although I'm not too keen on being catapulted into orbit many times in a day - its not that - that bothers me so much as - how to stop my drink from spilling each time it happens :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh I couldn't agree more - I don't think that there could be any better way of contemplating what needs doing in the garden than by lazing around in the luxury of a properly hung hammock whilst sipping an ice cold drink

Unfortunately its never been something that has ever been very possible for me - due to the fact that a lot of mini tornadoes and strong whirl winds have a habit of crossing over my property at regular intervals throughout the day - which although I'm not too keen on being catapulted into orbit many times in a day - its not that - that bothers me so much as - how to stop my drink from spilling each time it happens :D
Thats why I don't drink and drive. I might hit a bump and spill some

Reaction score
It's just hard for me to do any gardening here in Jamaica as it's just so hot now; i even realized that most of my plotted plants are drying up, it totally frustrates me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's just hard for me to do any gardening here in Jamaica as it's just so hot now; i even realized that most of my plotted plants are drying up, it totally frustrates me.
I have the same problem with my container plants too, but I have found an easy way to make it not so much of a problem. Just get a wheelbarrow, fill it with water, maybe even add some fertilizer and completely soak the containers. Put 4 or 5 in at the same time and let them soak for a couple of hours. This will keep them moist enough for 3 or 4 days probably longer. When they are a little bit wilted in the morning throw them in again

Ask a Question