Gardening in the heat of summer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My biggest issue usually is the same as yours. Trying to get the right balance of sun and shade. If I don't like the way a plant is looking I'll move it to a different location for a couple days to see how it does. If it does better well then we've got a winner lol.

I keep moving the lemon balm around. At certain times of the year, some plants can take full sun because the sun is not as brutal. At other times of the year, part shade plants need more sun because they aren't getting as much as they need. Maybe what I need is a giant lazy susan, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's just hard for me to do any gardening here in Jamaica as it's just so hot now; i even realized that most of my plotted plants are drying up, it totally frustrates me.

Try moving them close to a tree where they can get shade in the middle of the day, and put saucers or drip pans under the pots so they don't dry out as quickly. You may also want to experiment with reusing plastic bottles as drip feeders. Water is the biggest part of the challenge, I think.

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my container plants too, but I have found an easy way to make it not so much of a problem. Just get a wheelbarrow, fill it with water, maybe even add some fertilizer and completely soak the containers. Put 4 or 5 in at the same time and let them soak for a couple of hours. This will keep them moist enough for 3 or 4 days probably longer. When they are a little bit wilted in the morning throw them in again

Chuck much thanks for this advice; i think i have an old wheelbarrow lying around somewhere, i'll definitely be putting it to use.

Reaction score
Try moving them close to a tree where they can get shade in the middle of the day, and put saucers or drip pans under the pots so they don't dry out as quickly. You may also want to experiment with reusing plastic bottles as drip feeders. Water is the biggest part of the challenge, I think.

Very informative post ChanellG; and these are simple ideas can be incorporated into my daily routine. I think i am going to opt for reusing plastic bottles as drip feeders. Thanks Chanell, there is hope after all for my drying plants.

Reaction score
It's just hard for me to do any gardening here in Jamaica as it's just so hot now; i even realized that most of my plotted plants are drying up, it totally frustrates me.

As I too have had the same problem - another method of stopping pots from drying out and one well worth considering - especially as its one that I've found to work remarkably well - is to place small rocks, pebbles or gravel on the surface of the soil - which apart from acting like a mulch - looks very attractive too.

Another important point worth remembering when growing plants in pots or containers in hot climates - is that although they don't always look as attractive terracotta pots - plastic pots are always the better choice - as they don't dry out as quickly :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Another important point worth remembering when growing plants in pots or containers in hot climates - is that although they don't always look as attractive terracotta pots - plastic pots are always the better choice - as they don't dry out as quickly :)

Also, the plastic pots can always be placed inside slightly larger decorative clay ones. Just be sure to put a little gravel in the bottom to keep the plastic pots from sitting in too much moisture. It's a good compromise that helps you regulate the watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I haven't been in my garden for a week, because it's too hot. I have a very delicate and pale skin, so I have to avoid the sun, I don't have any other choice. Today, it's 33 degree Celsius again, it's an unbearable heat. My parents covered the most delicate plants with fabric, so the sun won't burn their leaves.

Reaction score
We really don't have the problem of it being too hot here in Scotland. If anything, our problem is that it rains too much. I planted box hedging with small plants at my last house. It rained so hard I think they must have got flooded on one part, as the garden wasn't completely level. This happened just after planting and it never really recovered.

Reaction score
Also, the plastic pots can always be placed inside slightly larger decorative clay ones. Just be sure to put a little gravel in the bottom to keep the plastic pots from sitting in too much moisture. It's a good compromise that helps you regulate the watering.

Although I too think this is a possible solution - it is one that needs careful consideration first - especially as this is one the methods traditionally used to increase humidity around a plant.

Which of course is great for those plant varieties that thrive in humid environments - but for those that don't of which there are many - you are putting those plants at risk of succumbing to the various plant diseases associated with too much humidity such as mildew and botrytis - if you were to place a plastic pot inside that of a terracotta one - due not only to the level of condensation arising as the pot cools down in the evening but also from the additional amount of water left in the gravel after watering.

So if planning to disguise plastic pots by placing them inside more decorative ones - think its always best to check that the plants that you are planning to do this with - do actually thrive in a humid environment - otherwise you may sadly see their untimely demise :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Although I too think this is a possible solution - it is one that needs careful consideration first - especially as this is one the methods traditionally used to increase humidity around a plant.

So if planning to disguise plastic pots by placing them inside more decorative ones - think its always best to check that the plants that you are planning to do this with - do actually thrive in a humid environment - otherwise you may sadly see their untimely demise :)

That's good to know. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm propagating and the weather changes. I've never heard of doing this before for humidity. I might even try it for some indoor plants.

Ain't that the truth. I do most of my hot weather gardening sitting on a bench under a shade tree drinking beer. Hey, don't scold me, I'm old:rolleyes:

Are you one of those that uses beer in the garden to make stuff grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's good to know. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm propagating and the weather changes. I've never heard of doing this before for humidity. I might even try it for some indoor plants.

Are you one of those that uses beer in the garden to make stuff grow?
Yep, When all else fails used beer is usually a quick pick me up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yep, When all else fails used beer is usually a quick pick me up

Used beer? LOL, are you saying what I think you're saying or are we still talking about beer? I've been seeing claims online of people using it in homemade plant food mixes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Used beer? LOL, are you saying what I think you're saying or are we still talking about beer? I've been seeing claims online of people using it in homemade plant food mixes.
Yep. I have even done side by side tests as to its effectiveness

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you mixing the beer with molasses and epsom salts?
I guess you could do that with used beer but personally I try to dispense with it a soon as possible and with my advanced age quite often and mixing it impedes the making of it:D

Ask a Question