Fruits or vegs that you are keen to buy but reluctant to serve

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary It might be a good idea to find out all the allergies that you have. A thorough check just in case.

I knew this boy whose mother gave him some peanuts and he went to a lockdown (Anaphylaxis attack) and was rushed to the hospital. She never knew that he had allergies. She later said that his lips went funny when he ate crisps. When he was out of danger, she was minded to ask him what he saw whilst he was nearly OUT there. He said he saw a boy older than him and then the boy told him to go back to his mum. She later was told that the boy was the first boy she miscarried.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A vegetable I am tempted to buy are artichokes. After removing the tough outer leaves and cutting off the bottom, one is left with about one half of what you purchased. I just can't justify having an artichoke heart which I have no idea how to use that costs almost as much as the rest of my groceries.
Bananas are another difficult food for me. After you take off the skin and throw away the bone, what do you have:confused:?
Bone??????

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think God intentionally gave us two types of fruits and vegetables. The first are the ones we love to eat. The flavor is so enjoyable we look forward to eating them. The second type are the ones that are on earth to keep us from starving to death. People can eat them to sustain life but there is no enjoyment in their consumption. For many people things like turnips, rutabagas, and collard greens fall into the second category. Even though I love them myself, I would never serve such foods to guests.
I don't serve them to guests either, because I eat them ALL myself!:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Alp, try slicing your okra dry (no water on the skin or knife) and then shaking the slices in cornmeal before frying. It makes all the difference! We always grow tons of it, and it never goes to waste. My vegetable -hating husband LOVES okra!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Bone??????

They are very easy to grow and as long as you've one, you will have the headache of curbing their expansion. They add a bit of architectural height to the border and also their blue flowers attract bees.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Alp, try slicing your okra dry (no water on the skin or knife) and then shaking the slices in cornmeal before frying. It makes all the difference! We always grow tons of it, and it never goes to waste. My vegetable -hating husband LOVES okra!

I will definitely try that. I asked a boy whose parent came from Africa and he told me to boil them. I have kept some seeds, and will try to grow them next year so that we don't have to rely on Spain or the EU.. Hehehe! Thank you for the tip!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ooops! I am a turnip (English way of saying idiot!). Hehe! I confused turnip with parsnip.. I need a nip in the brain.

Turnip is only good for slicing up thinly for salad! Ahhhhhhhhh! Where's the hole I want to bury myself? :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alp, I used to loathe turnips. My grandmother boiled them until they were brown mush, and her house smelled bad for days after.
Then I discovered lightly steamed turnips with butter and parsley, sliced turnips sauteed in olive oil with a pinch of fresh garlic, and of course, raw turnips in salads (perks up cole slaw no end!). I am now a turnip fan, but you couldn't forceme to eat a parsnip!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My grandmother boiled them until they were brown mush, and her house smelled bad for days after.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

There are foods which do that. For days on end, it's like cats have been sick out. The only lovely smells were fried onions, garlic and rosemary in the oven.. I am going to do that in the next hour.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Alp, I used to loathe turnips. My grandmother boiled them until they were brown mush, and her house smelled bad for days after.
Then I discovered lightly steamed turnips with butter and parsley, sliced turnips sauteed in olive oil with a pinch of fresh garlic, and of course, raw turnips in salads (perks up cole slaw no end!). I am now a turnip fan, but you couldn't forceme to eat a parsnip!

Parsnip is lovely roasted. But my son turns up his nose!

Ask a Question