Fruit textures you can't eat?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pineapple would be a great fruit to marinate meat in if it does help to break it down. I love pineapple chili chutney with chicken.

I am a picky person when it comes to the textures of my food. I also can't eat slimy thing either which is why a lot of Japanese foods turn me off.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's possible that I'm allergic to it. On the other hand, I sometimes eat canned pineapples in syrup and they never hurt my mouth.
Someone told me that pineapples contain bromelain, which breaks down the proteins in meat:eek: I'm not sure if it's true though.

It is a Bromeliad so that would make sense.

They also dissolve industrial resin glues :eek: (and teeth :rolleyes::D)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Claudine, the canned pineapple may not give you issues because the pineapple is cooked, which would make sense. During the cooking process, heat tends to break down certain enzymes.

Reaction score
If you don't like the mushy part of oranges, try clementines. They are smaller, sweeter, and usually more firm. I love fruit. There is no texture that bothers me really. I don't like it when watermelon and cantalop are too ripe and become soft. I like a crisp to them. However, that is more of a preference not an annoyance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think it's possible that I'm allergic to it. On the other hand, I sometimes eat canned pineapples in syrup and they never hurt my mouth.
Someone told me that pineapples contain bromelain, which breaks down the proteins in meat:eek: I'm not sure if it's true though.

Bromelain is also what is used as a pain killer. It's often given to people post surgery and it's included in at least one quercetin supplement that I know of. The pineapple in syrup has been processed so it's not the same as eating it fresh. I like dried papaya, but can't stand the smell of it fresh. Unripe papaya is also a different experience than ripe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It is a Bromeliad so that would make sense.

They also dissolve industrial resin glues :eek: (and teeth :rolleyes::D)

I never realized until just now that bromelain is a substance extracted from bromeliads! How about that? I've taken it orally as part of a quercetin supplement and I've bought straight bromelain for pain, but there's no (or at least at the time there was) specific information on what amount should be taken for pain management. Can't remember wwhat pain it was I wanted to address either.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I never realized until just now that bromelain is a substance extracted from bromeliads! How about that? I've taken it orally as part of a quercetin supplement and I've bought straight bromelain for pain, but there's no (or at least at the time there was) specific information on what amount should be taken for pain management. Can't remember wwhat pain it was I wanted to address either.

Did it break your proteins down? :eek:

Reaction score
Bromelain is a mixture of protein digesting enzymes found in the stems and fruit of fresh pineapples - however although it has been used as a folk remedy for hundreds of years in Central and South America - there is as yet no conclusive scientific evidence to say that it is an effective treatment for everything it is currently being promoted for.

More information on Bromelain and its current uses can be found here - along with its interactions with other medications and foods

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/bromelain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Did it break your proteins down? :eek:

Never used it for that. Only took it as part of an oral supplement.

Bromelain is a mixture of protein digesting enzymes found in the stems and fruit of fresh pineapples...
there is as yet no conclusive scientific evidence to say that it is an effective treatment for everything it is currently being promoted for.

Never knew about the stems, always thought it was just the fruit. Would be great to learn to extract it at home in some kind of tea/tisane. I've not tried to use it on it's own though in a long time. I can't even remember what I bought the pills for - we're talking the very early 1990s. I imagine it's included in the quercetin supplement I like to help manage the pain of sinus pressure, or to help clean out the gut (or even both).

Reaction score
Mangos and peaches are the two at the top of my list. Not a fan of the mushiness

dandy-lou

(they/them)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Bananas...

I can eat a really fresh, really firm banana without a problem, but the second they start to get a little soft/mushy, I can't do it. The texture is just so unpleasant. I've never been a fan of mushy foods (except mashed potatoes), stuff like pudding/mashed bananas/applesauce...it's rare for me to enjoy them. Not impossible, but I have to be in a specific mood.

Ask a Question