Fruit textures you can't eat?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love most kinds of fruit. I eat some kind of fruit almost every day. But there are certain textures that disagree with me. If I have a hard time chewing something, it becomes less appealing to me. Fresh oranges are a good example. Not only do I dislike taking the times to peel them, I also am not fond of the fibrous white stuff in between the wedges, and in between the peel and the fruit meat. It is tough to chew and takes away from the sweetness of the orange itself.
Honorable mentions also include: kiwi, apricot (inside), peach (outside), strings and peel from the banana, as well as anything with small inedible seeds/pits (grapes and melons). It is not to say that over all I don't like the taste of them, because I do. But I eat less of them because of textures or inedible parts. How about you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love most kinds of fruit. I eat some kind of fruit almost every day. But there are certain textures that disagree with me. If I have a hard time chewing something, it becomes less appealing to me. Fresh oranges are a good example. Not only do I dislike taking the times to peel them, I also am not fond of the fibrous white stuff in between the wedges, and in between the peel and the fruit meat. It is tough to chew and takes away from the sweetness of the orange itself.
Honorable mentions also include: kiwi, apricot (inside), peach (outside), strings and peel from the banana, as well as anything with small inedible seeds/pits (grapes and melons). It is not to say that over all I don't like the taste of them, because I do. But I eat less of them because of textures or inedible parts. How about you?
I suppose you could try kumquats where you eat the whole thing. But I agree, especially on grapefruit. That white stuff is just nasty

Reaction score
Although I would agree about that encountering the pith of citrus fruits is far from pleasant and that the stringy bits of bananas and very definitely the peel would not be something that I would ever want to intentionally put in my mouth - I can't honestly think of any fruit that I don't enjoy eating because I don't like its texture - in fact I eat a very wide range of different fruits on a daily basis - well apart from pomegranates - which I don't eat that often as they take an infuriatingly long time to eat - oh and quinces which taste disgusting unless cooked.

If you haven't tried it yet - smoothies and juices might be the answer as either would alter the texture enough to make the fruits that you don't particularly like - a whole lot more enjoyable.

Reaction score
I have a very love hate relationship with fruit as well. I can't stand the pulpy parts of oranges I always just cut them into slices suck out the juice and throw everything else away. I cant eat apple skins either every time I do I end up spitting it out. I never even knew that you were supposed to eat the pulp of citrus fruits until someone asked me why I was wasting my orange. :p I get all of my juices in liquid form.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like most fruits. The only exception are pineapples. I hate them more than anything! First of all, they're absolutely disgusting, I can't stand the taste of them. Also, for some reason my mouth always hurts after eating them fresh:eek: Yuck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like most fruits. The only exception are pineapples. I hate them more than anything! First of all, they're absolutely disgusting, I can't stand the taste of them. Also, for some reason my mouth always hurts after eating them fresh:eek: Yuck!
Well, Claudine if you can't stand the taste and they hurt your mouth why do you keep torturing yourself?:LOL:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Pineapple is the only thing i'll eat even if i'm not hungry, love them. Lost my front tooth last year while biting into one though :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sorry to hear that:( It must have been a really hard pineapple! Pineapples are evil fruits:devil:
I forgot to mention mangos and bananas. I don't like them at all.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just bit it the wrong way, my top tooth went behind the bottom one :rolleyes:

Love a mango, but you should only eat one in the bath, love a Banana :)

Time flies like an Arrow, fruit flies like a Banana :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Soft fruit. I don't like the feeling of mushiness in my mouth. Food has to be firm to me, I could care less that it tastes sweeter when it's riper, the only things that should feel mushy are mashed potatoes. Orange pulp sometimes gives me issues because of too much chewiness, but it's not as bad as my dislike towards 'mushy.'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oranges are the number one fruit I can't eat for the same reasons you mentioned primalclaws. The texture literally makes me gag. I really love the flavor of oranges so I just drink a lot of oj. Can tell people is another fruit I hate. The texture is good, but the flavor is horrible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some things are a matter of acquired taste.

...I can't honestly think of any fruit that I don't enjoy eating because I don't like its texture - in fact I eat a very wide range of different fruits on a daily basis - well apart from pomegranates - which I don't eat that often as they take an infuriatingly long time to eat - oh and quinces which taste disgusting unless cooked.

I've never had fresh quince as it's not local/native here, but earlier this year I had a piece of a quince tart that was absolutely delicious! It surprised me because I'm not big on cooked fruit.

Claudine, it's possible you are allergic. They have a high vitamin C content, but they also contain an enzyme used to treat pain. You should actually feel good after eating them, unless you try and eat too much, and that can cause a tingling around the mouth. You may want to get tested.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Fresh Quince is as hard as bullets, that's why we make them into jellies, used to get them from the next door neighbour but she moved :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, it's possible you are allergic. They have a high vitamin C content, but they also contain an enzyme used to treat pain. You should actually feel good after eating them, unless you try and eat too much, and that can cause a tingling around the mouth. You may want to get tested.
I think it's possible that I'm allergic to it. On the other hand, I sometimes eat canned pineapples in syrup and they never hurt my mouth.
Someone told me that pineapples contain bromelain, which breaks down the proteins in meat:eek: I'm not sure if it's true though.

Ask a Question