Fruit by the season?

Reaction score
What are some fruits I can grow year round? I'm looking for something that lives for more than one season. I'm also looking for something that is low maintenance for a vacation home. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What are some fruits I can grow year round? I'm looking for something that lives for more than one season. I'm also looking for something that is low maintenance for a vacation home. Any suggestions?
If you lived in Washington state I would say apples. If you lived in Florida how about oranges. If in China maybe pomegranates.

Reaction score
I don't know that there are really any fruits that produce all year round, unless you are in the tropics, but fruit trees can be fairly low maintenance. You only have to prune them in the spring and make sure they get enough water. If your area is not dry watering may not even be an issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I know, chilli plants bear fruit all year long. They're relatively low maintenance. My boyfriend had one and didn't manage to kill it, lol:p You can grow them indoors, they make a lovely home decoration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Lemons have peaks in fruiting, but do really fruit all year round.

Oranges and mandarins fruit twice a year.
Primo cane raspberries can be trained to fruit June to November where I live.

Reaction score
To be honest I think it highly unlikely that a citrus tree would bear fruit if grown indoors and although a Meyer Lemon or a Calamondin Orange may - if given time outside during the spring and summer months - oranges, mandarins, tangerines and clementines very definitely wouldn't fruit if grown indoors.

I would also just add that although some varieties of Citrus Tree may bear a few fruits sporadically throughout the year - Citrus Trees do not generally fruit more than once a year and ORANGE, MANDARINS, TANGERINES, and CLEMENTINES - DEFINITELY - DO NOT FRUIT TWICE A YEAR - for the simple reason - that from the the time the fruit starts to form and then ripen ready for harvesting - generally takes anything from 6 - 9 months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I know for a fact that oranges and mandarins fruit twice a year in Cyprus, mandarins March-April and November, oranges April/October, perhaps just not in your climate.

Reaction score
I know for a fact that oranges and mandarins fruit twice a year in Cyprus, mandarins March-April and November, oranges April/October, perhaps just not in your climate.

Unless something has dramatically changed since I lived in Cyprus and they are now growing a new variety of orange or mandarin that is actually capable of fruiting more than once a year - oranges or mandarins DO NOT produce fruit twice a year in Cyprus or in fact anywhere else in the Mediterranean.

Due to the fact that that there is as yet no Orange, Mandarin, Tangerine or Clementine variety that is capable of producing fruit more than once a year and although there are some varieties that may produce at slightly different times of the year - as it takes between 6 to 9 months for the fruit to form and ripen on the tree - it is just NOT POSSIBLE for these trees to bear fruit more than once a year - especially as after fruiting the tree generally has a 2 to 3 month rest period.

In fact - although fewer citrus varieties are grown in Cyprus than other Mediterranean Countries - the majority of citrus varieties grown there are much the same as elsewhere in the Mediterranean - in that they only produce fruit once a year which is also harvested at much the same time as everywhere else

http://www.cyprustrade.pl/en/export-offer/agricultural-products/citrus-fruits/

Reaction score

:confused: Are you sure you posted the right link - because as far as I'm aware Cyprus is not in India.

I can however assure you - after having lived in the main citrus producing countries for the majority of my life as well as having grown all varieties of citrus fruits myself for well over 35 years - that India or any other citrus producing country DO NOT have any orange or mandarin varieties that are capable of bearing fruit more than once a year - because as I've said before - it just NOT POSSIBLE for ORANGE, MANDARIN, TANGERINE or CLEMENTINE trees - to fruit twice a year.

In fact if there was a Citrus variety that was capable of bearing fruit more than twice a year - I feel more than sure that all the commercial Citrus growers would be snapping them up like hot cakes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.globalorangegroves.co.uk/lemontrees.html

Villafranca Lemon (Citrus limon / citrange troyer)A very vigorous variety but thorny in the early years. The fruit is of a very good size. It has an excellent quantity of very high quality juice and few seeds. This lemon tree is highly productive. The tree will produce four crops a year of various sizes of fruit giving an almost continuos supply of lemons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know anything about growing Mandarin trees in Cyprus or India but I do know a little (not much) about how they are grown in deep South Texas. They harvest 2 crops of them in a years time but not from the same tree. They have a late spring and a fall/winter crop. They do this by lack of irrigation and/or fertilization for the spring crop. The object is to produce a fruit not normally available so as to command a higher price. This is an iffy proposition because sometimes it does rain during the summer, like in a hurricane, and if it does there will be no spring fruit and the fall crop will be greatly diminished

Reaction score
It is possible, by limiting the number of fruit growing at any one time, to have THREE mandarin crops in a year.

Doesn't work

and yes although the majority of lemon tree varieties have one or two main crops a year- they will if grown in the right climate and conditions - fruit sporadically through the year - which I'm almost sure I mentioned earlier in previous post.

I would however agree with what Chuck has said - in that if you had two separate orange or mandarin trees - each of a different variety with two different cropping times - then yes if would be possible to have more than one crop a year - for the simple reason that you had two separate trees - both cropping at different times

However that would only work if you weren't trying to grow them in climate where summers are extremely hot - as apart from other problems - the intense sunlight would damage the ripening crop

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Doesn't work

and yes although the majority of lemon tree varieties have one or two main crops a year- they will if grown in the right climate and conditions - fruit sporadically through the year - which I'm almost sure I mentioned earlier in previous post.

I would however agree with what Chuck has said - in that if you had two separate orange or mandarin trees - each of a different variety with two different cropping times - then yes if would be possible to have more than one crop a year - for the simple reason that you had two separate trees - both cropping at different times

However that would only work if you weren't trying to grow them in climate where summers are extremely hot - as apart from other problems - the intense sunlight would damage the ripening crop
I don't know if I agree with you or not about different varieties. The way I understand what happens to get 2 crops a year is to force the tree into dormancy no matter what the temperature is, as it gets really hot in the summer in South Texas. The lack of moisture and nutrients seems to do this, and if this is factual then one could grow the same varieties and get 2 crops, but not on the same tree

Ask a Question