Dragon fruit season of fruiting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our dragon fruit usually bears flower buds by September just in time for the first harvest in November that sometimes lasts until early December. But this year, I have seen some buds already and it's only June, too early for their usual season. I guess this is the result of the drought we had early this year that lasted until last month of May. I am just hoping that the early fruiting will be a bonus and the fruiting season will last until November and December. If that would be the case then we are to have a big harvest this year.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
That would be amazing! If dragon fruits production increase they we may have a little bit of help with the economical systems.the potential of dragon fruit is bright because it commands a very high price in the local market; it costs around P120-150 per kilo. In a demo of a three-year old dragon fruit farm, it can produce 5-6 t/ha with a value of P720,000 in the local market alone. Considering its current demand, it is no wonder that dragon fruit is now dubbed as the new money crop—truly, a high revenue earner for farmers/producers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like you will have a great harvest!

If the fruits didn't come in the right season, like you said in November, I wonder if they are still as great tasting or would they be different? Sometimes when I buy fruits that were not in season, the taste is very bland, such as nectarines and peaches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have never heard of dragonfruit. What does it taste like? Can you only grow it in a tropical climate? I have tried a fair amount of fruits and veggies in my day but I must admit that is a new one to me. I would like to take a look at it sometime to see what it is like, and taste it. We do get some exotic fruit and vegetables here in the US but that is a new one on me.

Ask a Question