Fragrant Roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Zephirine Drouhin very nice rose. I had one planted in a large planter, until some animal snapped it off one night. Here in thge UK, it has to my knowledgr always been listed as thornless. I recently learned that many commercial growers are giving up on it and are stopping production, due to it's mildew attacks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Zephirine Drouhin very nice rose. I had one planted in a large planter, until some animal snapped it off one night. Here in thge UK, it has to my knowledgr always been listed as thornless. I recently learned that many commercial growers are giving up on it and are stopping production, due to it's mildew attacks.
mine does not get mildew. its been getting the brown spots. but been spraying with the liquid copper. I have had this plant going on 12 years. first I tucked it near the lilac tree as I had moved it from an original location where it would have died---too much wet soil. So it stayed in a very shady area totally not tended to at all but survived. Finally I arranged the spot its in now, so this is its 2 years in the new spot, and growing like gang busters, it gets some sun, not harsh direct with dappled shade during the day as the sun moves. Giving me lots of blooms, and new canes. Seems happy except for the brown spots, but they just started so I have been spraying. And yes, not one thorn on it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
mine does not get mildew. its been getting the brown spots. but been spraying with the liquid copper. I have had this plant going on 12 years. first I tucked it near the lilac tree as I had moved it from an original location where it would have died---too much wet soil. So it stayed in a very shady area totally not tended to at all but survived. Finally I arranged the spot its in now, so this is its 2 years in the new spot, and growing like gang busters, it gets some sun, not harsh direct with dappled shade during the day as the sun moves. Giving me lots of blooms, and new canes. Seems happy except for the brown spots, but they just started so I have been spraying. And yes, not one thorn on it.

A popular literary connection: Rosa x 'Zephirine Drouhin' serves as a pivotal plot point in Agatha Christie's 1940 Hercule Poirot novel, Sad Cypress.

Reaction score
Country
United States
These roses are beautiful! There is nothing better than a rose with a delicious scent. I'm currently in the process of trying to keep my regular red and pink roses healthy and alive lol but I am learning along the way and I cant wait to grow more!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
These roses are beautiful! There is nothing better than a rose with a delicious scent. I'm currently in the process of trying to keep my regular red and pink roses healthy and alive lol but I am learning along the way and I cant wait to grow more!!
@Nadi, It is spectacular that you like the roses and learning along the way!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rosa x 'Rouge Royale' is richly regal in color, petal count, and fragrance. It's also feeble, disease-prone, and probably inbred, more royal traits. It is one of the Romantica Series by Meilland.

Rouge_Royale_002.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The primary source of true rose oil (rose absolut, attar of rose, etc.) is the Autumn Damask Rose (Rosa x damascena),
which is a complex hybrid of (Rosa gallica X R. moschata) X R. fedtschedkoana that originated in cultivation somewhere in the Middle East or central Asia. Both richly fragrant, and remarkably remontant for an Old Rose, the Autumn Damask is now grown commercially for rose oil in many countries, including Turkey, India, and Iran.
120_Autumn_Damask_mug_x700.jpg

Ask a Question