Fragrant Roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Memorial Day smelled good but it did not survive one of my winters. However, Dr. Huey did survive (the Memorial Day graft apparently failed in winter). Hee, hee, hee. Sunsprite did not have much scent for me and it bloomed poorly. Mr. Lincoln smelled good but it did not survive transplanting to a new location. Loved Double Delight, so much so that I bought three... but they had some black spot issues and disappeaed after 5-10 years. But DD was my number one as far as scent was concerned. Now we have Rose Rosette Disease killing 70% of my roses so I am not replacing them or adding them:cry::cry::cry::cry: anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No, not really. DJ blooms 'alongside with the other roses' time wise. I just mean that due to me concentrating on some gardening work elsewhere in the yard, I have been busy and not recently checked the area where the DJ is located that much. I probably passed by a lot, while it was leafing out in February and not much since then. I will need to stop by and confirm that it bloomed (or is blooming). But I doubt there is much blooming going on as we have had a lot of cloudy and rainy weather for the last four weeks or more. I counted 2.5 sunny days this month and 1.5 or 2 in April. I observed other roses reducing the amount of blooms considerably after the original Spring flush. Now some of them do take a break in between flushes but semi-continuous bloomers like Knockouts and the like are down to something like < 5 blooms on a 5' tall plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Very pretty. Can you attach the fragrance electronically? :D:D:D

A local nursery used to carry lots of Edmunds Roses some time ago but something happened and they changed wholesalers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have grown roses for over sixty years. Yes. There are so many new one each year. Sadly very few available nowadays have much of a fragrance. Also IMO the quality of the plants has dropped. Here in the UK. You can purchase, potted or bare root plants. The latter usually only via the grower. Adverts usually show a plant with at least three stems. I have received some with only a single stem and often badly chopped back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have one fragrant, the Zepharine (spelling). its doing well. side of my deck so I get the scent when sitting there. Not too many sunny spots for roses, this one can handle some dappled shade. so good to go.
IMG_7388.JPG

Ask a Question