First garden! need some help

Reaction score
This is my 1st garden ever, and already I am experiencing problems a few weeks in. My garden gets plenty of sun(8 hours) and gets watered in the morning, but I am getting brown and white spots on certain plants. The eggplant in the 1st pic is getting brownish spots, where as the zucchini is getting white spots in the next pic. Does this look like a fungus? I just started to notice this as the weather got hotter and more humid here in NY. Any advice as to what this is and how it can be prevented? I'm a newbie at this so be kind:)

IMG-20130602-00319.jpg
IMG-20130602-00318.jpg

Reaction score
OK I think I found the culprit which is most likely aphids. I had a few light green critters, and some unusual red and black looking critters as well. I just sprayed them with an organic spray, so hopefully that will help things. I also hear that purchasing lady bugs for your garden helps as well.

Has anyone heard of this, and if so does it actually work?

Reaction score
Depending on what the red-and-black critters looked like they may have actually been immature lady bugs. But yes, if you have aphids, then releasing ladybugs into your garden can definitely help. Also praying mantises are good to help clear out pest bugs. Good luck!

Reaction score
I wish I would have taken a picture of those red/black critters as they did not look like lady bugs at all. They were kind of longish actually, and will keep an eye out for them.

I will definitely try the lady bugs!

Reaction score
Well here are the red and black bugs I have found on my plants. It just looks like they are hanging out and not even eating the leaves.

DSCN0442.jpg

Ask a Question