Fig clipping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I presume you mean cuttings for propagation? If so, winter, when the tree is dormant is the best time but it can be done year-round.

Faz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really trying to figure out when the latest time I could take it. For example when the out side weather is in the teens or in the single digits? I have mostly Chicago and brown turkey figs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really trying to figure out when the latest time I could take it. For example when the out side weather is in the teens or in the single digits? I have mostly Chicago and brown turkey figs
That is as good a time as any. After all, you will be rooting the cuttings indoors until you transplant into the ground. You can do it today or any time but the best time is when it is dormant which is now and before the tree starts to leaf out again. And I don't know the date when trees come out of dormancy in NY.

Faz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know if it gets to cold the branches start to die off. But if I take it to early I have a leafed out fig plant when I have to keep indoors for a month or two before I could bring it out. I am thinking if the branches don't start to die off until it is the single digits temperatures then I could take it in february and by the time it is rooted and leafing out, the last frost date has passed for me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What do you mean the branches start to die off? Remember, you have to take HARDWOOD cuttings, not softwood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I suck at cuttings but if I were you I would get cuttings at least 1/2" in diameter and at least 6-8" long and make extras. You don't want the floppy green limbs, you want the ones that look like actual wood.

I took mine in Summer but only 1 of about 15 lived. Mostly my inexperience I assume.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you took a cutting today it would be a month before you had a decent root system, probably a little longer. This is getting close to February and time to put into potting mix. Then another month for growth. Its now March and you will probably need another month of growth for a robust transplant. You must not rush this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am really bad at propagating, but I presume you can take them year round. I think the best time would be in summer, because all plants flourish and are healthy in that time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When should I take my Fig clippings? I am in zone 7a
You can take them in Winter, yet I've found the best time is in the early growing season. Literally cutting off a piece and placing in a pot with potting mix works. You can also air-layer a branch (marcotting) cut off when roots firmly establish.

Ask a Question