Figs Fruit In Fall/Winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fig tree spent last winter indoors. I had 20+ figs in Feb & they all just fell off.
This year, I planted the tree. The figs didn't appear until late October & fell off.
Anyone know what this is?
I'm in zone 6b.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Assuming it has had adequate water (?) and no synthetic fertilizer (?) (both lack of water and/or added fertilizer will often lead to fruit drop), the cause may be pollination.

"Though common figs are self-pollinating, three common fig varieties are not. "Caprifig" and "San Pedro" require pollination by a tiny fig wasp, while "Smyrna" requires cross-pollination with "Caprifig." If these trees are not pollinated properly, they will produce immature fruits that will not ripen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Assuming it has had adequate water (?) and no synthetic fertilizer (?) (both lack of water and/or added fertilizer will often lead to fruit drop), the cause may be pollination.

"Though common figs are self-pollinating, three common fig varieties are not. "Caprifig" and "San Pedro" require pollination by a tiny fig wasp, while "Smyrna" requires cross-pollination with "Caprifig." If these trees are not pollinated properly, they will produce immature fruits that will not ripen.
Shouldn't they set fruit in the summer?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Give it time...takes 3-4 years to mature into a regular fruit producer.

Tuilly

Submit Your Favourite Plant to win Cash.
Reaction score
Country
United States
Once the tree became mature will give you a good amount of fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know how our climates compare, but I inherited a fig in the greenhouse when I moved here. I do get a bit of fruit in Spring, but the majority is in late Autumn, it's doing us rather well at the moment, for an English fig. My friend who moved to Portugal sends me photos of a crop which is massive by comparison, so is her tree, and outdoors.

Ask a Question