Fast growing foods

Reaction score
Currently, I'm looking for some foods that I can grow at home, that don't take long to grow. I would like to eliminate having to go to the grocery store all together, but I'm not sure if my growing is gonna be able to keep up with the rate of my EATING. What are some foods that I can grow and be able to pick/eat quickly. Ideally, if I can grow something, have a weeks worth of that veggie to eat, and have a new crop to pick again within a week's time, that would be GREAT! If any of you have any ideas, I would really appreciate it :)

Cheers,

Omari

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by fast, things in my Aquaponic and Hydroponic gardens grow like crazy, at least 2x faster. I can start a tomato seed off within 6 weeks be getting fruit from it. Much the same with beans, squash etc.

Reaction score
By fast, I mean 2 weeks time. Are there any fruits or veggies that I can plant today, and be able to harvest within 2 weeks? At some point, I would like to be able to stop going to the grocery store, and just eat the things I grow at home. I'm pretty much eating all raw fruits and veggies right now. Lots of romaine lettuce and tomatoes.

Reaction score
thanks for that info Cjk85 I didn't know beans and squash grow so much quicker. Do you know if beans sprouts are ususally ready in just a few days?

Reaction score
Lettuce is one of the fastest growing vegetables. You won't be harvesting in two weeks unfortunately. Have you tried sprouts? I use them as lettuce and they are ready to eat in 3-4 days.

Reaction score
Lettuce and radishes are ready to harvest very quickly. Since lettuce can be harvested small or large, you can have a baby greens salad fairly soon after planting. Radishes are ready to harvest in as little as 24 days and can be planted frequently for a steady supply.

Reaction score
ok , thanks. I thought that bean sprouts grow in just a few days I saw it on a youtube video. The guy was saying how he grows his own and it takes only a few days, guess it's too good to be true, lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Mung bean sprouts will be ready in about a week, as will alfalfa and salad cress.

Runner beans aren't the fastest to get going, but once you start harvesting, you'll be pushed to keep up.
Similarly, courgettes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
31ºc 66% humudity hot climate rains when it gets more hot
Country
India
A very nice question on fast growing veggies n fruits
I had grew mong bean sprouts and in 12 days it was into delicious plant
And i had it in salad
Its delicious try it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Mung bean sprouts will be ready in about a week, as will alfalfa and salad cress.

Runner beans aren't the fastest to get going, but once you start harvesting, you'll be pushed to keep up.
Similarly, courgettes.

This is also my suggestion, mung bean sprouts that you can even grow using cotton pad instead of soil. Wet the cotton and spread the mung beans there. In a week or maybe even less time, the sprouts will appear. It can be cooked in a Chinese dish called toge - sautee the sprouts with garlic and onion plus some bits of meat. That will be a good healthy meal for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Green onions grow pretty fast, but like with all veggies you have to have the patience to sit there and let them grow. If you want to eat entirely from your garden, it will probably take you at least 2 years to grow enough to eat fresh and then have some reserves that you can preserve or stick away in the freezer.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Arugula, garlic chives, butter lettuce, those are a few that grow pretty fast. They seem to be on my plate pretty quick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Omari, try growing sprouts:) They're yummy and healthy, I eaither put them in sandwiches or mix them with cooked buckwheat or rice.
They grow very, very fast.

Ask a Question