What is the fastest growing fruit?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I usually only plant flowers, but I think it would be fun to plant some fruit this year. Any suggestions on one that grows relatively fast, so we can enjoy some fresh fruit, as a snack, sooner rather vs later? I know from going to the market, when certain fruits start becoming available, but I am hoping someone here can fill me in and spark my brain cells, a little bit, nothing is popping up, off the top of my head. :LOL: Besides, I might get a suggestion from you all, that I would have never thought about!

Side note - I like all kinds of fruit, so open to any and all ideas! :)

Thanks! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I might be thinking about strawberrys as the earliest, however I believe instructions might lean towards not letting the produce fruit the first year or something (you can check on that). Rasberries should grow and produce this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, strawberries grow and produce very quickly. They are one of the earliest crops to go into the farmers stalls. I'm going to be planting mine this weekend hoping and will have a bumper crop before the end of May!

Reaction score
I was disappointed when I tried removing the strawberries the first year. Life happens, the weather is not always cooperative, and the second year the harvest was not very good.

I now simply take what the strawberry plants choose to give me!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Raspberries are the fastest growing and producing. First year some, second year lots and you'll be giving them away, third year you'll be trying to give them away and trying to confine them to one area. Really good eating and easy to freeze or make jams from. I started with three plants and now have a 25 foot row. Some people feel they are a bit like weeds, but for quick and long term productivity they can't be beat.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blackcurrants are pretty foolproof, you can buy a container grown bush that will last for years. Birds don't usually take them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I once grew Cape Gooseberries (Physalis Edulis) and had loads that year.
I'm not fond of them, however, and they too are invasive.

Melons are quick to grow too.

I'm like that with Physalis, always worry that they are the poisonous variety.

Reaction score
As I grow an extremely wide variety of different fruits - I would agree with headfullofbees and say melons - particularly as - melons are about the only fruit that is guaranteed to grow quickly and fruit abundantly in the first year of planting :)

Ask a Question