Essential tools for indoor gardening for the winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello friends! I’m an Austin, TX resident and new to the cold winter here. Where should I store my outdoor houseplants for the winter? And what are the essential indoor gardening tools for the winter? Thank you.

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here is some guidance for storing houseplants:

1. Find an Indoor Spot. If you have space, the best place to store outdoor houseplants during winter is indoors. A room with adequate sunlight, like a sunroom or near south-facing windows, would be ideal.
  2. Consider the Garage or Shed. If bringing them indoors isn't an option, a garage or shed can provide protection against the cold. Just ensure they still get some light.
  3. Use your Patio or Covered Porch. Grouping them together on a covered patio or porch can offer some warmth. On colder nights, covering them with frost cloths can provide added protection.
  4. Mulch for insulation. For plants that are in the ground or in larger pots that you can't move, mulching around their base can help protect their roots from cold temperatures.
  5. Adjust Watering. Plants typically need less water in winter, so be sure not to overwater, especially if they're getting less sunlight.
As for tools...a Haws indoor watering can is lovely ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Cozy chair near the window.
Glass of beer or wine - maybe a cocktail or something.
Some snacks made from this years crops.
Maybe a good book or the laptop for keeping up on Gardening Forums about all the brave enthusiastic folk who garden in the winter.
Much patience to wait for spring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I were doing indoor gardening operations in the winter I would want a good potting tray to do them in and control mess.

Ask a Question