Edge of leaf droplets.. what are these?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
I'd seen them before, but yesterday morning I looked closely at the tiny beads of water forming on the edge of the leaves. I found these on my Balsam, Cyanotis cristata and a purple Tradescantia. Pictures from the first two attached. Earlier I had thought it was the dew but these beads are not on other plants. We have had heavy rains during May which is a summer month with temps touching 37C here with minimum of 21-22C. The air is humid. Due to the rains it was a comparatively cool May, though humid. Someone told me that plants holding more water can exude excess of moisture like this. Is this true and can anyone explain the exact phenomenon?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Oops, I hit 'create thread' before attaching pictures.

I'd seen them before, but yesterday morning I looked closely at the tiny beads of water forming on the edge of the leaves. I found these on my Balsam, Cyanotis cristata and a purple Tradescantia. Pictures from the first two attached. Earlier I had thought it was the dew but these beads are not on other plants. We have had heavy rains during May which is a summer month with temps touching 37C here with minimum of 21-22C. The air is humid. Due to the rains it was a comparatively cool May, though humid. Someone told me that plants holding more water can exude excess of moisture like this. Is this true and can anyone explain the exact phenomenon?

P1050692.JPG

Above is Cyanotis. Two pictures below are of Balsam.
I was observing this on Balsam for the first time.

P1050694.JPG
P1050697.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I didn't receive much of rain, I hope you could mail me some.

It's guttation.

Did you felt the effect of cyclone passing to NE India, Cyclone Mora?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Thanks for the word and thread link, Rajesh.
In Chennai rain was predicted... and here it was, in the inland. It has gone to NE now.

Ask a Question