Easy indoor plant for a young child?

Reaction score
I would do some kind of herb, maybe basil? They're super easy to grow, and I think a child would love being able to use what they've grown to cook with!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
How about a sweet potato plant, cut the bottom of a sweet potato and set it in some water and watch it root and start to grow. Your daughter can see all of the stages of the plant growing from a potato to a pretty vine.

Reaction score
Earlier I mentioned about growing a plant from a potato, but I like your idea, Pat. Sweet potatoes also make a lovely plant that is easy to start in a cup with water. It is also a little more exotic that a plain ol' potato. :D

Anything where they can start the plant themselves, whether from a cutting, seeds, or even a potato, would be far more interesting to them, I bet. Anyone can just buy a plant and where is the fun, or accomplishment in that?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have an avocado seed sprouting in the window right now. My grandson's are watching it to see when the little seed will start to root and the stem will come out. They don't believe me that it is a plant. I hope it sprouts soon, you know some times they don't take root, that's why I like sweet potato plants, they always take root.

Reaction score
One of the first memories I have with taking care if a plant is with a Chia pet. I remember I wanted the tree one but I ended uop getting a sheep or something. I still really liked it and had fun.

It is so great to teach children about plants. They can really learn a lot about how life works and caring for something. I think teaching your child how to nurture a plant is a great thing. I plan on doing this with my son when he is old enough.

Ask a Question