Easy flowers to start indoors?

Reaction score
I'm really keen to start growing some flowers but have literally no idea where to start. I'm moving soon so will need to start them indoors. Any ideas of some flowers that would be good for this? Or is it too late in the year?

Thank you :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There are many beautiful indoor plants that are easy to grow:) If I were you, I'd start with miniature ferns, African violets and spathiphyllum. These are my favorites.
Miniature roses are easy to grow too, but they need to go dormant in winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I would suggest waiting until you have moved, and then planting bulbs that will grow and blossom this year. Lilies and gladiolas would probably work, and they will be perennial, so once you have them planted, you can enjoy them every year.
Also, rather than trying to start something from seed this late in the year, you might want to just go to the store and buy some. My favorite is Lowes, since they always have plants on closeout that you can gt for next to nothing, and are affordable on about anyonee's budget.
I got those bautiful $15 Knockout Roses on clearance at Lowes for $5 each.
Usually by the end of June, many places are marking down their plants to geet them sold, so you can even find tomatoes and other veggies if you want to grow some of those this year, too.

Reaction score
claudine: Great ideas, thank you! Miniature ferns are gorgeous, why didn't I think of that! I'm definitely going to try this.

happyflowerlady: I have been thinking about bulbs, Lilies are high up on my list. The only problem is I've never been very successful with bulbs. I think I've probably only managed to grow one batch successfully. Do you have any tips?

Also I love the idea of clearance sales. We spent loads of money last year on plants, only to go back to the store a couple of weeks later and see it all being sold for half the price. Thank you for reminding me not to make the same mistake this year!

Thank you both :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
claudine: Great ideas, thank you! Miniature ferns are gorgeous, why didn't I think of that! I'm definitely going to try this.
They are really gorgeous:) A miniature fern was one of my first plants, I had one in my room when I was a teenager. I remember that it grew really quickly and it looked healthy. I never fertilized it, I just watered it from time to time:)
Miniature ferns are lovely, low-maintenance plants:)

Reaction score
African Violets are wonderful inside flowers, as well as Christmas cactuses. Just have to make sure you water them properly. Dish garden sare essentially plants but they thrive well, and if you get colorful plants they're very beautiful to set as a centerpiece on the table. Chinese evergreen are wonderful to grow in a pot, such beautiful waxy-type leaves, dark green on outside and a sea green in the middle.

Ask a Question