Dying cucumbers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is Chef Jeff's Whopper Cucumber. Soon after cucumbers form, they go from green to this burnt dried up form within a day. What is happening?

FYI, I am using Espoma organic Garden-Tone 3-4-4 fertilizer, and watering about twice a week.

TJPC7jI.jpg

DEne0zO.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oh somebody is sick. Looks fungal to me. I am terrible at picture guessing but that may be advanced powdery mildew, although I would have expected it to be higher as well. See the yellow infection border as it eats on the bottom leaf? It gets inside after a while. What have you got handy for stopping fungus?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks. Yeah, Chef Jeff responded as well, saying it looks like powdery mildew.

I have Ortho 3-in-1 Insect, Mite, and Disease Control spray. It mentions powdery mildew, so I guess I'll try that.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The active in the 3 and 1 is sulphur and very little. It probably has some kind of wetting agent or sticker which is good. Here is a link to a few things you also have that will work and not hurt much organically speaking. I also use betadine, but I am not spraying for PM rather some other nasties and PM just cannot stand it. 2tbsp to a gallon. You might extend your watering a bit also. You have a lot of "stuff" in that soil to keep moisture it appears

Link Here

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Powdery mildew, use cheap mineral water with a pH above 7 and milk at the ration of 5 water - 1 milk and spray both sides of the leaves.
Won't save the leaves affected, but will stop the spores from opening and attacking leaves presently free of the fungus & new growth.
I try to always grow tolerant cultivars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nothing to add except that aborted cucumbers look disgusting! I get some on my plants too. Thankfully the leaves all look good and I have some fruit developing.

Let us know how this turns out for you!

Ask a Question