Does Cigarette Smoke Have an Impact on Indoor Plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I just started my garden in the front yard about a month or so ago. However, I wanted to make the house a bit prettier by buying some houseplants to grow. The only issue is, I live with smokers. I don't smoke myself, but my boyfriend and father-in-law do, and I don't want to bring a plant in here if it's quality of life is going to be effected negatively by the cigarette smoke. Does anyone know in what ways plants are effected by second-hand smoke?
the plants are besides the point. The second hand smoke will have an impact on you the human. so you have two smokers to inhale their smoke.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this very interesting information. My husband smokes and now I had learned something new. But most of my indoor plants are said to be air purifier like the Snake plant I had this in every corner inside our house and so far even my husband sometimes smokes inside the house the plants are still healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my first husband smoked. never forget when I sprayed window cleaner on the glass pictures in the house to clean and seeing the lovely urine color of water that would run down the glass. and that was in my lungs. And we had plants.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My husband used to be a smoker and he would tell me that cigarette smoke is actually good for the plants. In fact, when we moved here and got to own a mango tree, he would burn dried leaves for the smoke because the mango tree likes it... smoke stimulates the mango tree to bear flowers. The same with indoor plants, they like the smoke because it stimulates their leaves to produce food.

Ask a Question