Does anyone here grow rice? If so, tips?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have no experience with growing rice but I come from the tropics where rice is a major staple in my country. I know for a fact that cereals especially dryland ones are nitrogen intensive plants. You could do well to intercrop with desmodium which enriches the soil with nitrogen. Incorporating well composted manure and fertilizers like DAP will definitely replenish the soil. I know of a breed of dryland rice called Nerica rice which you can easily find out about its agronomy on the internet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Honestly, I haven't planted rice but let me contribute with what I know. We have been to ricefields before. After the soil is plowed and the fertilizer is applied, the rice bed is sown with the seeds. When the sprouts are 3 inches high, it is the right time to plant. The distance of planting is from 10 to 12 inches apart but the planting material is a bunch of maybe 5 to 10 sprouts (as opposed to that pic). That is how rice is planted by rice farmers here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
~12a
Country
Puerto Rico
Awesome, thanks for the advice! My rice has long produced its golden-yellow seed heads. I've been harvesting them, and (with much despair) have been hulling the rice in a very inefficient way. Yet again, I only have nine plants, as this is mainly an experiment.
They've produced and have done well with very little care. I am impressed with their yield.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Awesome, thanks for the advice! My rice has long produced its golden-yellow seed heads. I've been harvesting them, and (with much despair) have been hulling the rice in a very inefficient way. Yet again, I only have nine plants, as this is mainly an experiment.
They've produced and have done well with very little care. I am impressed with their yield.
I would love to see some pictures of your rice crops. I love rice and it would be fascinating to see it grow. I've seen paddy fields in Bali and Korea but it would never occur to me to grow it. Good luck withnit and pleae share your progress

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Rice is up in Arkansas

image.jpeg

Ask a Question