Do you recognize this snake?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lol.

Actually that looks like a tarantula I handled at a botanical garden...non venomous. She went up my arm and it was like being tapped gently with q-tips. :)

Mind you no way would I have let it near me had the staff not assured us it was perfectly safe! It was a really large spider. :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Beth, I would have insisted on seeing the staff's degrees in arachnology and possibly having them sign a pledge stating that the spider was non-venomous.
I don't hate spiders, I do respect them. However, spiders should not have HAIR! I have taken stray cows home, dealt with various wild life that was less than friendly, and survived blizzards. No way would I be brave enough to let a tarantula crawl over my hand (or any other body part). Q-tips? I am going to sit up tonight and watch touchy-feely movies so I won't dream about hairy spiders!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
:D

I agree mostly about hairy spiders! I have a few times encountered wolf spiders on the job and they are scary, because, fur. :eek: Is just wrong on spiders.

And I say this as someone who owned rottweilers for 36 years, has fostered many bully dogs and got involved in dog fight clean ups :( and also was VP of a rescue where we also did wildlife rehab. Think litters of baby possums, foxes delerious with parvo or rabies, pissed-off hawks that had been hit by cars.

Maybe I'm too trusting. o_O I'm still alive anyway! Maybe my Scottish heritage and upbringing...Google Robert the Bruce and the spider. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Bootsy, going to have to say you'll remain in the minority on this one. What you described in the last post sounds like something out of a horror movie to me. :eek: @Beth_B, they would have to be offering money. At least $100 before any crawling is okay. I had a teacher in high school that told us he had to look through all of the nature magazines before his wife and rip out the pictures of spiders for her. Lol. That's about where I'm at.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Bootsy, maybe she's really a Disney princess. The closest experience I had to that was I saw a dragonfly flitting about and I held out my finger and it landed on me. It was awesome. My mom was on the phone with my stepdad, as this happened earlier this year when she was visiting, and I was quietly freaking out and point and the dragonfly because I was so excited. :LOL: I love most creatures, just not spiders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Bootsy, going to have to say you'll remain in the minority on this one. What you described in the last post sounds like something out of a horror movie to me. :eek: @Beth_B, they would have to be offering money. At least $100 before any crawling is okay. I had a teacher in high school that told us he had to look through all of the nature magazines before his wife and rip out the pictures of spiders for her. Lol. That's about where I'm at.

I get that actually! When I was a little kid I was swarmed and badly stung after inadvertently disturbing a ground bee nest. I'm OK with spiders and bugs in general and snakes but to this day I'm somewhat phobic about bees and wasps and even looking at photos of them makes me really uncomfortable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Some typical pictures

P1100743.JPG

P1030252.JPG

P1120289.JPG

P1120293.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Glad you figured it out. Always look at the head and if you don't wanna get that close do what I do. Run. Not a fan of snakes..nope, nope, nope.

Ask a Question