Do you recognize this snake?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm mildly surprised, not at all the knowledge, but the amount of snake lovers. Lol. I find most snakes to be pretty cute. I'm a huge fan of geckos and lizards too. I've "rescued" a few of my friends who were afraid to touch them. There were always geckos getting inside when I lived in Guam. Lizards don't seem to wander in so much. Are small snakes in houses something that happens commonly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm a huge fan of geckos and lizards too. I've "rescued" a few of my friends who were afraid to touch them.

I think you'd be afraid to touch one of these! :D

I made sure that I kept a fair distance from them (y)

P1050620.JPG

P1050621.JPG

They were about 11ft long. :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Asia, yes snakes find a spot to hibernate in the winter, and that spot sometimes is inside the house. Imagine our surprise when remodeling a bathroom and removing the old tub, we found a very large shedded snake skin under the tub! We have also had a snake come into the kitchen (through a plumbing vent that has since been sealed!) during a particularly cold winter night.
We also have geckos that cling to the patio doors, and occasionally come inside and skitter around the floor and walls. I've found that a paper cup and a piece of thin cardboard make a great gecko catcher. One puts the cup over the gecko, slips the cardboard under the cup very gently and slowly, then carry the cup, gecko, and cardboard outside and release the gecko. At our house you check before you drink from a paper cup!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Bootsy, I think I saw a few of those in Thailand. Lol. I wouldn't pet one without some sort of professional supervision and would definitely give them a wide berth otherwise. But smaller reptiles are cute and I don't mind handling them. @marlingardener , thanks for the heads up about paper cups at your house. :p:D I usually just pick geckos up. I do it very gently because I'm afraid I'll squish one and I'm usually without paper cups. @Chuck ,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
@AsiaCS What you would have seen in Thailand were almost certainly Water Monitors. :) They're a protected species over there and normally grow up to 6ft (occasionally longer).

Those in my photos are Komodo Dragons. I've seen a youtube video of a supposed Komodo in Thailand but, although similar, it was a River Monitor. Apart from size difference you can tell the difference by the head and snout. Monitors have a narrower but longer, more pointed, head. Komodos have broader snouts and shorter heads. Also, Komodos tend to have looser skin. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I assure you, it had the same deep fear you did, only it had an actual reason of being scared.

The truth is, kittens and puppies are more likely to hurt you just by playing. Snakes will try to escape you as quick as they can. They'll only try to bite if you pick them up (same with all wild animals), and I've picked up a lot of snakes that never tried to bite me at all.

If they feel cornered, some will stand their ground, which is, again, true with many wild animals, including humans, and that's only so you'll let them go so they can escape. They're wimps. In fact, some snake species will even play dead in hopes that you'll leave them alone. Unfortunately there are so many horrible misunderstandings and inaccurate, outdated beliefs.

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Nope, not judging at all but it was just mere feeling I had. If you are reaching out to pick up laundry but saw a rat, I am sure you will feel the same way. It is the surprised instinct that kicks in and the shock of it.

I know snakes scared of people and they are good the earth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@AsiaCS What you would have seen in Thailand were almost certainly Water Monitors. :) They're a protected species over there and normally grow up to 6ft (occasionally longer).

Those in my photos are Komodo Dragons. I've seen a youtube video of a supposed Komodo in Thailand but, although similar, it was a River Monitor. Apart from size difference you can tell the difference by the head and snout. Monitors have a narrower but longer, more pointed, head. Komodos have broader snouts and shorter heads. Also, Komodos tend to have looser skin. (y)

I'm learning new stuff all the time here. @Chuck I like to think of as my lemon guy and @marlingardener is a super helpful person who gives me tips on things in my area. @Bootsy, you just schooled my on some reptile knowledge. Thank you :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
It is just an opinion, but coming from a region that has poisonous snakes and spiders and a few other nasty's in that garden- I have gotten so I will usually try to stir an area up a bit. You can mist with a hose, or let the dog roam around a bit. I think it is pretty dangerous to walk up to a dense planted area and just dig in. I have watched trained landscapers come to work and get chased out by hornets that were not there a few days before. I never ever just plunge my arms or hands in without checking what might be in the plants. Just take the spade and move the plant leaves a bit.

Although we have snakes I have never had a problem with them. I have had snakes slither by while I was working or just looking at an area. I like the way they drape themselves on the sticks for heat. It seems they like to go in the bricks under my raised beds. I just leave them alone, and usually they stay away from the dog. I have found that if it is cold the snakes will crawl into a bag of mulch if they can to escape the cold, so be aware.

The spiders though, because we have wood chips and stacked fire wood, I am always watching for the Brown Recluse Spider, in all sincerity though, I have seen a few very large common garden spiders I would not want to be bit by. We have some sort of scary looking black fuzzy spider, I swear it looks like a tarantula, which we do not have this far north, but still I would not want that thing to bite me. I have no doubt it would hurt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Mockingbird, earlier this summer I had a gigantic spider strolling up my bedroom curtains...it was alarmingly large. I usually just cart spiders outside with my bare hands but I admit I killed this one. Looked it up online and while not venomous it can deliver a very painful bite. (Can't recall the name of it now.)

When I lived in Colorado and California before that, venomous spiders and snakes were definitely critters to be aware of. As you say, no point living in fear but its just smart to be alert. The world needs more lerts. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm from south Florida originally. I feel like few people appreciate the terrifying wildlife that will waltz into your home like they own the place when you live close to the swamp because they only think of Florida in terms of beaches. We had spiders the size of an outstretched hand, including their legs. There were small scorpions. I've been stung on three separate occasions. Surprisingly few snakes. There was a bear in the front yard one night.

@Mockingbird, I've been so traumatized by the random "visitors" at my parents house that I stir up my kids toys when before picking them up at night and I do "spider checks" when entering rooms usually. Lol. That is good advice though. Reminds me that I should tell my husband to use caution before picking lemons in the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Over here spiders are looked upon as being beneficial to the environment but it doesn't stop people from having phobias about them. Mrs Bootsy doesn't have a phobia about them and was quite happy to play with the tarantulas when we were in the Amazon. :)

P1090228.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
AHHHHH!!!!!' I didn't need a picture. Holy crap. I didn't need a picture. I mean, I get that spiders are beneficial but they're flipping scary. So many legs. I feel all weird now. I'm glad you guys are brave in that regard.

I was quietly screaming in my car one day as I was leaving the gym, around Halloween, because there was spider web in my hair. I usually park under a tree so I knew the day would come eventually. As it turns out it was fake spiderweb from the rock wall. I forgot that I had climbed through some near the top. In short, spiders scare me to an irrational degree.

Ask a Question