Do I cut back cutleaf coneflower?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This, today, is directed toward coneflower but also for my general garden that includes tons of other perennials. I recently moved to a new home that has a gorgeous large garden in the back with different flowers and trees. I am brand new to gardening and I’m trying to learn ☹️

The coneflowers bloomed beautifully, but this week have lost its bloom leaving long stems with seed heads. Some are falling over. I am wondering if I should be cutting these back, and if so how much of it? I live in Chicago, so winter can be here next week or….mid December. Who knows. But I’d like to do right as the seasons start to change.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
This, today, is directed toward coneflower but also for my general garden that includes tons of other perennials. I recently moved to a new home that has a gorgeous large garden in the back with different flowers and trees. I am brand new to gardening and I’m trying to learn ☹️

The coneflowers bloomed beautifully, but this week have lost its bloom leaving long stems with seed heads. Some are falling over. I am wondering if I should be cutting these back, and if so how much of it? I live in Chicago, so winter can be here next week or….mid December. Who knows. But I’d like to do right as the seasons start to change.
Can you post a photo of the plants in question?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here’s the coneflowers

Attachments

• IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here’s the coneflowers
That is a pretty garden spot friend, thanks for the photo. I would just leave the plants alone and allow them to finish naturally. The plants are thriving as they are now and pruning them will lessen the pretty look they have. We will be close to Winter in no time and everything will be gone soon. When it gets colder you can prune your plants for the next year.

Ask a Question