Golden Mop False Cypress (or was it really a Sun Gold?) that is HUGE - Should I just cut it down and start all over?

Reaction score
Country
United States
In 2001, right after my husband and I bought our first house, I planted a 'Golden Mop' False Cypress, not really knowing much about shrubs and trees at that time. I showed our local nursery photos of the front of our house, and they recommended foundation plantings of two Japanese plum yew flanking, two loropetalum, with a beautiful repeat-blooming rose in the middle. I decided that I loved the texture of the false cypress, and they chose one for me, to put on the left hand side of one of the plum yews. From what the nursery told me, I thought this false cypress would get about 4-5' tall and wide.

Well...it's now 22 years later, and this false cypress is HUGE, about 7' wide and at least 10' tall. Knowing what I know now, I think they sold me a 'Sun Gold.'

I hand trimmed this shrub/tree on its right side to be able to see the plum yew, but it still doesn't look right. Now it looks like a scrawny tree with one side cut out.

Should I just cut it all the way down and start all over with a variety that is TRULY small, like a 'Golden Mop,' or should I cut it down to about 3-4' and see if it fills back in?

Ask a Question