No golden fields of Rape this year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK, the golden Rape seed crops have become a familiar sight in recent years, but this year we noticed it by its absence. Although it drives the bees crazy, and has a distinctly horrible smell as it ''goes over'' it does brighten the countryside up a bit. I am wondering if it has been missed in other parts of the country as well as Kent?
I thought it would be an idea to research why it isn't so apparent this year, and discovered that it is due to extreme weather conditions as well as crop decimation
by the activity of the cabbage stem beetle.

As well as the Rape, we used to see lovely blue fields of Flax, but I haven't seen any of that growing for years.

The way things are going here, all fields will soon be covered in concrete :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I totally agree with you Tetters. As you know. For me, a short drive along the A20 and I am in Kent and the open countryside. Those glorious butter yellow fields.....time to put the sunglasses on. Sad to say. I sense that climate change etc is going to rapidly change so much around us.
Something that bugs me. Here in the UK, there's all this race about being carbon neutral by 2050. Nothing seems to being done, to save water, to stop burying the valuable soil beneath concrete or tarmac. Visions of comic strips, everyone going about in funny dressware, wearing fish bowls over their heads. Thank goodness I won't be around.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It certainly looks like our little piece of calm and quiet is soon to be demolished Mike. Did you see Zig's video?

Glad I won't be around too.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It is odd that there's less rape around this year when the new petrol needs 10 % of it to be made from plant based ethanol :eek:

Some cars wont run on the new E10 petrol, you can check if yours will here.

U.K. only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When there is heavy rain I see Farm run off water by the side of the road that is clay coloured. Erosion is really fast when the vegetable material is lost from soil, it really slows the water down. When the Saxons started cutting trees down seriously there was eight feet of leaf mould, now they are ploughing clay and chemicals. On the other hand it is amazing how quickly I manage to convert my straight clay soil. I convert every bit of organic material I can get hold of except for dry wood that i burn clay to make terracotta, and already my beds are noticeably higher all round, I should think 2 or 3 inches in about a year and a half, more in places, and the soil is much easier to work.

Ask a Question