Help with Goldenberries

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I am new to this forum and am looking forward to learning and sharing! While I already searched to see if there were any Gooseberry topics, my post may be the first.

I succeeded in growing a whole bunch of gooseberry plants which are flowering, and bearing fruit. The problem is, the berries stay teeny, tiny and never seem to ripen. Does anyone have any experience with growing these berries?
Thanks so much,
Linda

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I believe you are talking about Cape-goosberry or Goldenberry (Physalis peruviana, and similar species), in the Nightshade Family (Solanceae), and not the European Gooseberry (Ribes uva-crispa, and similar species), in the Currant Family (Grossulariaceae).

The fruit of the Cape-gooseberry are not large, usually betweeen 1 to 2 cm wide. It can take several months for green fruit to fully ripen. In the end, how long did the fruit stay green on your plants before ripening?

Ask a Question