Cut Flower Advice Please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I've been gardening for a few years now, but this is the first time I've brought cut flowers into the house.

It started with sweet peas - I had to cut them to keep them flowering so I've been stuffing them in a vase. The house smells amazing and I'm finding I need to cut them every few days....which I'm starting to love. It's a win-win....the more I cut the more I get both indoors and in the garden!

Today I got adventurous. I cut some lavender, callendular, cornflowers and some other purple wildflower I don't yet know the name of. Theyr'e in a little vase and they look amazing.
So, I'm hooked. Can someone tell me what plants I can cut safe in the knoweldge that new blooms will be produced? I have:
1. Callendular
2. Cornflowers (corn poppies, corn marigolds etc)
3. Lupins
4. Snapdraggons
5. Lavender
6. Candytuft
7. 10 week stock
8. Virginia Stock
9. Straw Flowers
10. Cosmos
11. Marigolds (french, affrican, gem)
12. Aster China
13. Black Eye Susan
14 Cone Flower
15. Nemesia
16. Sunflowers of all sizes - including multi-headed varieties.

Does anyone have recommendations for cutting flowers to grow next year?

Also, I have a dehydrator so now I'm thinking about dried flowers, pot pouri etc. Any advice on that will be most welcome!

And of course making potions etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have any pictures of the flowers and Google Lens? I've never heard of corn flowers and I'd love to see them.
Cornflowers are also known as Batchelor's Button.

They are a wildflower native to the UK. We also have Corn Cockle, Corn Marigold, Corn Poppy, Corn Daisy. They are weeds that used to be commonly found in corn fields. Polinators love them.

This is a typical cornflower mix.

Ask a Question