Do all peppers grow the same?

Reaction score
This year we are trying different peppers. We are trying purple peppers, chocolate peppers and sweet peppers. The chocolate and purple peppers look like they should turn out to be the same shape as the green bell pepper and I heard that they are good but never tried them. The sweet peppers look like they will be long and almost looking like a hot pepper but not spicy.

Have you ever grown a variety of peppers? Are they about the same as growing bell peppers? We got them as plants and not seeds and they look quite healthy :) I am excited to try them!

Reaction score
My dad has only grown the green and red spicy variety. I'm not a big fan of edibles, but that might change soon :) For now I'm content with one of those plants with tiny chilies that have different colors. They look so cute! In my experience (well, my dad's!!) chili plants aren't hard to take care of... my dad's chili plants have always grown like weeds :p

Reaction score
They all grow enough alike that I have to make sure to tag mine so I know what color they're supposed to be when ripe. Even sweet vs hot can have a very strong resemblance. One year I grew miniature sweet bell peppers that looked enough like habaneros that my son ate one of the hot ones off the plant by mistake!

Reaction score
I am so jealous of your chocolate peppers! I was going to order some online, but the seeds were not going to ship out as the same time as my order, so I decided against them. I assume they all grow similar. I bought some jalapeno plants with some bell pepper plants, one time. I grew them in containers on my porch and they both came out beautifully!

Reaction score
As I have also grow all varieties of peppers and especially the colored ones - I too would agree that all peppers seem to grow alike but would recommend like Cammie has already mentioned - if you are growing different varieties of peppers and as most pepper plants look much the same - it is very wise to tag the plants individually - not only for identifying the hot varieties but also because - most of the colored varieties start life as green and it is often only as they start to mature that you know what color they are actually going to be.

Mariam said - " I am so jealous of your chocolate peppers "

I grow them every year and if it is of any help - most seed suppliers offer them in their " Rainbow Pepper Collections " - which is how I first came across them.

Reaction score
We've never really had much luck in the chili and pepper department with only a handful of chili's over the last three years. We are going for heirloom seeds this year with a bit of a re-think as to what kind of peppers we're going to have. I love banana peppers and sweet red peppers so they are a must. I'll stay tuned for any tips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I haven't grown any peppers yet, but my boyfriend has a small pepper plant. It's quite old already ( he bought it a few years ago, I think) and very pretty. Its fruits are long, tiny and extremely spicy. I'd never eat them! :p He sometimes adds them to his meals though.

Ask a Question