How to grow tomatoes and peppers in a bale of straw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We have been talking about the benefits of growing different crops, from tomatoes and peppers, to potatoes, in a bale of straw. Today I got an email from Bonnie Plants, and they sent their little newsletter that had an article on how to condition your straw and get it ready for planting.
They said you can grow about any plants you like in the straw, but the large tomatoes that are indeterminate, and keep growing vines, may get too heavy. I think it would work ok, if you can set the straw bale up along a fence that would make a trellis for the tomatoes to climb up on.
We are supposed to have the local feed store open later this month, so I think I will get a bale of straw, and test it out.
Here is the link for the article. It has good pictures, and a short tutorial video as well.

http://bonnieplants.com/library/how...=email&utm_term=0_a422bae720-c136816814-26417

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I find it interesting that there are so many ways of growing plants without soil. I wonder how efficient it is to grow tomatoes in straw, though. Can it be amended the same way soil can or do you use liquid fertilizer the entire time? I have been thinking of getting straw to mulch my strawberry plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
One article that I saw about growing in straw, it showed that you take out some of the straw on the top, and then fill it in with potting soil, and then start the plant in the potting soil. As it grows, the roots can go down into the straw.
I saw one video that was an elderly woman, I think in Germany, or maybe just somewhere in the US, but she actually grew right on the ground, and never used a shovel.
She put the potatoes on the ground, and then added some straw, mulch and dirt over top of them, and kept it watered, and added more mulch or straw as needed. She not only grew potatoes, but anything else that she had in her garden, using this method.
Apparently, she had the ground tilled before doing it the first time, and she said the ground just stayed soft after that, so she didn't have to dig. If I can find where I saw that video, I will post it for everyone, it was pretty amazing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you grow the potatoes that way you still need something to contain them. Some people make a "tower" by forming a tubular wire cage and some people use tires stacked on top of each other. As the potato plant grows it has to be covered or the potatoes will turn green. From what I have seen, you don't necessarily have to use soil to cover the vine as it grows, but it has to be completely protected from light.

I saw a photo once of potatoes growing indoors suspended from the ceiling. This was being done in complete darkness and if I'm not mistaken, the plants were being fed areoponically.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd make sure it was an organic bale, as farmers can use selective herbicides right upto the point of harvest. A lot of which are persistant & could take your crop right out.

Apart from that, great idea:)

Reaction score
Hey Happy Flower Lady. My mom used to do this all of the time,, she just made a good size hole in the bale, then add soil to it and plant to her hearts content. When the straw would start to deteriorate, the straw was spread around her garden area and tilled into the ground.

Reaction score
I saw one article that had some guy peeing on a bale of straw and then using the after product in his garden, I was like "The things people do to grow stuff." I always thought urine killed plants, but apparently if done right it is good for your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is something completely new to me. I had no idea that it's possible to grow plants in a bale of straw. What a funny idea! I've just read the article and I must say that it sounds really interesting. I'm not sure if I'll ever give it a try though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never thought that you can grow anything without soil! That is just fascinating and interesting to know and see. It is a great way to recycle and the compost would be great for the garden too.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The idea of growing vegetables in straw is new to me and very interesting. I am just not sure where I could get some straw that does not have chemicals added to it in my area so that I can try this.

Ask a Question