indoor peppers, new growth dying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
This is my first time growing peppers indoors and my Bhut is having some issues. Some of the new growth is dying, many of the new leaves have dried tips, there's also some brown spots on the leaves but I'm not too concerned about that. I've never seen this before on my outdoor plants so I'm not really sure what's going on. It also appears to be spreading to my Serrano peppers, where the two plants are touching there are a couple Serrano leaves nearby that have started to die.

Lights are 4 T5s 16 hours a day, they get watered once a week, get a fan a couple hours a day. The Bhut has a ton of buds but NO pollen, so last week I switched from feeding it a 12-4-8 once every two weeks to Earth Juice Bloom (0-3-1). I've pollinated them by hand with flowers from my outdoor peppers which have tons of pollen, still no fruit. There are some fungus gnats but not that many, I haven't seen any other pests. I do water them from a rain barrel though.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of cutting off the bad leaves and spraying with neem, just to see if it helps.

First picture is a close up of the worst node of the Bhut, second is a wider picture of the same plant, third picture is of the Serrano (damaged leaf at the top left is from contact with a bulb). Damaged areas have circles. Not sure why two pictures were rotated, they're oriented fine on my computer.

Attachments

• IMG_8241.JPG
    IMG_8241.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_8244.JPG
    IMG_8244.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_8243.JPG
    IMG_8243.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 360
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my first time growing peppers indoors and my Bhut is having some issues. Some of the new growth is dying, many of the new leaves have dried tips, there's also some brown spots on the leaves but I'm not too concerned about that. I've never seen this before on my outdoor plants so I'm not really sure what's going on. It also appears to be spreading to my Serrano peppers, where the two plants are touching there are a couple Serrano leaves nearby that have started to die.

Lights are 4 T5s 16 hours a day, they get watered once a week, get a fan a couple hours a day. The Bhut has a ton of buds but NO pollen, so last week I switched from feeding it a 12-4-8 once every two weeks to Earth Juice Bloom (0-3-1). I've pollinated them by hand with flowers from my outdoor peppers which have tons of pollen, still no fruit. There are some fungus gnats but not that many, I haven't seen any other pests. I do water them from a rain barrel though.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of cutting off the bad leaves and spraying with neem, just to see if it helps.

First picture is a close up of the worst node of the Bhut, second is a wider picture of the same plant, third picture is of the Serrano (damaged leaf at the top left is from contact with a bulb). Damaged areas have circles. Not sure why two pictures were rotated, they're oriented fine on my computer.
Peppers are like tomatoes. They are self pollinating. More than likely the reason the plants aren't setting fruit is the temperature at night. Perhaps this link will be of help. The reason the leaves are browning and deformed is too much fertilizer early on

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/info_tomtemp.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
Temps in the house range from 70 at night to 82 on the weekdays during the day. I actually have the vents to the room the peppers are in closed, so that room stays just a little bit warmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Temps in the house range from 70 at night to 82 on the weekdays during the day. I actually have the vents to the room the peppers are in closed, so that room stays just a little bit warmer.
It is the night time temperatures that really count. Peppers and tomatoes set fruit at night but if it's too warm during the day it causes bloom drop. Optimum is between 65 and 70F night time temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
It is the night time temperatures that really count. Peppers and tomatoes set fruit at night but if it's too warm during the day it causes bloom drop. Optimum is between 65 and 70F night time temperature.
It definitely isn't that then, it's been even warmer outside at night and my outdoor peppers are fruiting fine. That room is getting down to probably around 71-72 at night for the entire night. Outside they're getting down to around there too, but it's only for a couple hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It definitely isn't that then, it's been even warmer outside at night and my outdoor peppers are fruiting fine. That room is getting down to probably around 71-72 at night for the entire night. Outside they're getting down to around there too, but it's only for a couple hours.
There is only one thing left then and that is the light

Ask a Question