Did you know ants don't like rosemary?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would much rather have ants in my house than spiders if I had to choose one. I am going to try the rosemary trick near my front door. How do you use coconut oil to combat spiders?

Reaction score
Ants never seem deterred by any of my herbs. Supposedly ants hate mint, but every time one of my mind plants dies, I find the soil crawling with ants.

Reaction score
I have never had anything deter ants. I will try this one, but I'm not very excited. I hope it works. I've even had the house sprayed of all things. Mostly because we have problems with brown recluse and wasps. Something about Missouri and brown recluse just go hand in hand. Even the professionals couldn't get rid of the ants, and the brown recluse always return too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow this is so good to know. Every summer we get ants. They are so grow and hard to get rid of. I am definitely going to sprinkle rosemary around.

Do you know if having a lot of Rosemary plants help keep them away as well? Or do the actual leaves have to be on the counter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh wow I had no idea that rosemary can ward off ants! I always have it handy, fresh and dried, so this is definitely good to know! I also didn't know spiders don't like coconut oil, I have that on hand as well!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Seriously, someone please give directions on how to use coconut oil to keep spiders away. If I have to coat every member of my family in it daily, I'll do it. The Rosemary is neat too. I'll try putting some in my pantry instead of ant baits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good tip and thank you! We have ants in the summer and we have rosemary too. I love the smell of rosemary and I will definitely use it to keep the ants out of our home rather than buy the ant traps!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
I did not know that, this is a very helpful tip since we do have ants in and around the house in summer. We have some rosemary in the garden and I love rosemary in my cooking, but now I can also use it to keep ants out. Will definitely give this a try, and I love the smell of rosemary, so the house will smell great!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Truly? That is so good to know. In the summer, where I live, those mean red biting ants come out and attack everything. They get in peoples homes and apartments. I will be trying this! A lot better than sprays and poisons in my opinion.

Reaction score
This is very interesting! I do not know that ants don't like rosemary. I learned from my mother the use of salt to take away the ants in our house and we had proven it so many times. But anyway thank you for sharing this tip and I will surely try this one. :)

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I have one helluva ant problem in our apartment and I may just have to try if this will work. When we just moved in, I took some ants powder and sprinkled it in a corner where I think there was an ant's nest. To my surprise the next morning, the ants have begun to use the same powder as filler for a nest! I think this entire apartment block must be filled with ants for them to completely resist the powder. I hope this one works.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have grown a big rosemary herb outside my window. On many occasions ants have invaded my hamlet leaving me wondering how to repel them. I have discovered that paraffin works as well as burning newspapers over ant colonies. Rosemary is therefore another card down my sleeve. Other uses of rosemary include cooking it with rice as a condiment, rosemary tea and and as medicine to unblock nasal passages.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Rosemary also repels mosquitos :)

That explains a lot of things to me. I went to visit a friend and she used to say that she had a lot of mosquitos. She lives near a lake. When we went, we noticed several rosemary plants around and hardly any mosquitos.

Ask a Question