Did you know ants don't like rosemary?

Reaction score
My grandmother had ants I her house. They pop up from time to time in the summer. Somebody told her to sprinkle the counter and window sill with rosemary. She bought a rosemary plant and sprinkled it in the window sills, on the counter, and around the doors and hasn't had an ant since. I now have rosemary plants everywhere. Do you know any other uses for rosemary?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't know that :)

The ants tried to take a shortcut thru the house a while back, the next day there were lots of ant sized cocoons hanging up, the spiders had them, they didn't try that again:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had no idea that ants don't like rosemary. I know they hate baking soda, my mother sprinkled it in one of our rooms when they were trying to take it over, lol:p
Thank you for the tip!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will take the ants over the spiders. I really do not like spiders in my home. They can have a very bad bite. I met a lady that had been bitten by a spider that hid away in a banana box, the bite caused her to go to the hospital.

Reaction score
I found what seemed to be a spider cocoon on my bananas this weekend! I was worried about banana spiders, but ended up getting them anyway. Thank you for the tips on ants! During the summer, those little beasts like to try and sneak in. Now, I will be armed for them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh my, I don't know what would I do if I found a spider cocoon on my bananas. It reminds me of a horror movie that I watched a few years ago. It was a story of a man who bought himself some exotic fruits and there were tarantula's eggs in them:eek:
As far as I remember, the tarantulas killed him, his family and his neighbours:eek::eek:

Reaction score
I didn't know about rosemary, I use lemon juice which thy don't like. I wish I could buy a pair of anteaters and rent them out. They get fed and I get paid!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my, I don't know what would I do if I found a spider cocoon on my bananas. It reminds me of a horror movie that I watched a few years ago. It was a story of a man who bought himself some exotic fruits and there were tarantula's eggs in them:eek:
As far as I remember, the tarantulas killed him, his family and his neighbours:eek::eek:

I was working on an 18th Century Castle in Bristol, very near the docks and the fruit market, stuff comes in from all over the world there.

There were some big black spiders with red spots on that had colonised the tower, they used to attack the tools we were using to re point the place :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's so scary! And it sounds dangerous! Were they poisonous? I'd run away if I saw one.
I don't know what is more terrifying, snakes or spiders:eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know, kept away from them, didn't get bitten. Twas an odd place, 14 lifts of scaffold to get to the top, and even when you were alone up there, you felt like someone was next to you.

Built by slave labour, God knows how many people died building it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I must say it sounds like a perfect scenery for a horror movie:confused:. I'm not sure if I'd dare to go there alone. Probably not. If there were any ghosts, I'm sure I'd be scared of them, but I'm more scared of spiders;)

Reaction score
I will have to give this a try. They don't like cinnamon either but they figure out a way to go around the cinnamon that I put out on the counters. Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
My grandmother had ants I her house. They pop up from time to time in the summer. Somebody told her to sprinkle the counter and window sill with rosemary. She bought a rosemary plant and sprinkled it in the window sills, on the counter, and around the doors and hasn't had an ant since. I now have rosemary plants everywhere. Do you know any other uses for rosemary?

Now this is one helpful tip! I absolutely do not like like ants. Looking at them makes me itch. As soon as someone drops a crumb, it is covered in ants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Black Widow spiders have a vicous bit that can cause death. The black widow spide has a red spot on its belly. I wonder can you use dried rosemary instead of a rosemary plant to help keep the ants under control.

Ask a Question