Did anyone ever make fun of you for gardening?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, it has been the opposite. People keep on asking me the names of my plants. Many of them want to start a garden, so they ask me about the first few steps, such as preparing the soil and purchasing their first plants. They also ask about problems that have occurred in their gardens and what they should do to solve them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No! When I was a kid, my aunt had me care for our vegetables path as they were part of our food supplies. Though I don't know much about it, I just know the vegetables needed water, weeding, and picking. It was a joy and still is a joy for me today.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another bad story is I saw some 'people' (kids, really, who didn't realize understand how hard it was) and they ripped an elderly lady's garden out.

I helped her save what we could and I taught her some easier methods (she was using slightly outdated ones) and we formed a bond until she passed on. She was just a lonely woman. I guess I was more sensitive then other men around my age. Whatever. Ignorant kids anyways.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Another bad story is I saw some 'people' (kids, really, who didn't realize understand how hard it was) and they ripped an elderly lady's garden out.

I helped her save what we could and I taught her some easier methods (she was using slightly outdated ones) and we formed a bond until she passed on. She was just a lonely woman. I guess I was more sensitive then other men around my age. Whatever. Ignorant kids anyways.
Good on you.
I've always enjoyed the company of elderly people since I was a kid.
I think it stems from the fantastic relationship I had with my grandfather, who had been injured in WWI. Never spoke about, but was a really good man.
After that, I always thought, "Respect him/her, because you just don't know what their story might be." and I've found that to be a very rewarding philosophy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Not after they tried my pepper jelly made from the hot peppers I grow!
I had a similar experience, which sounds cruel, but anyway:
I had strawberries growing within reach of the pavement (sidewalk) and a little girl (can't have been more than 3/4-y-o) was picking them green, finding they were no good, and throwing them on the road.
So I put a potted chilli plant on the wall, with some nice red chillis on it.
Sure enough, later that day I heard squealing and squawking.
Sounds cruel, eh?
Except that there are laburnums and other poisonous plants, some with berries, in gardens, and whilst a medium heat chilli would be a nasty shock to a young child, it is a harmless and very effective lesson that not all in the garden is for eating.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's almost the same as me too, Headfull.

I just didn't question them unless they wanted to talk, and if they wanted to talk I listened. Some of their stories were so realistic and heartbreaking that you couldn't help carry on their life lessons as you continue to live. Plus I was taught to respect my elders, and to learn from them.

Plus I'm a naturally nice guy, easy going I do say. So I like to help those in trouble, it's the altruistic side.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My kids are always making fun of me and my plants. They laugh at me for saving the kitchen scrapes for the garden. But I don't care because I enjoy my garden and plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're right about that,you never know what you can learn form the elderly. there is no respect from the young adults.The thing is they got to get old too.I tell my kids,what goes around comes around..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No one makes fun of gardening here in Oklahoma. We all know that the gardeners are the ones that provide the best vegetables, even when there is a draught or summer gets so hot. We bring our excess to church and lay it on the table in the entrance area. Some bring eggs, others always tomatoes , squash, and okra. Natures bounty here in Oklahoma.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
As I was growing up, most kids were into Football or some sport type. I would be outside jamming to my MP3 player trying out different combinations and weeding my garden. Most times some of the kids would come by and trash my floral arrangements or pull up my garden to be douchebags.

I stopped caring after awhile, though. It was going to happen.

So what I did was plant a garden in plain sight with trash/junk plants for them to trash and moved my personal work out back, where I'd be able to see them if they came to trash it (as my computer room window faced outside toward our shed.)

So, did anyone ever make fun of you for being a green thumb?
sounds like from your statement you lived in a horrid neighborhood. sad for you. nope, no one ever made fun of my gardening. Kids can be so cruel. and their parents probably set a sub standard example.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My wife did, she commented on my talking to the plants.

I told her I get better conversation that way.

And that's when the fight started.

More tellingly, I've caught her conversing with the vegetation, gave her a knowing smile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes plenty of times. Considering my situation I laugh at myself from time to time. You are talking to someone who lived in Chicago for over 40 years. From a big city to a small farming town.

I was big into drag racing. My time was used to build my race car. Break something and go back a repair it. I would still garden in a small Chicago backyard but just peppers and tomatoes.

Now everyone has to mention that I went from drag racing to gardening in some sort of joking way. I never get offended because it is true. Drag racing is fun and expensive and that is all it gives you. On the other hand gardening gives you the essential knowledge to grow your own food. I actually get something in return for my hard work. The harder I work the more I get. The more I give them the more flavorful and bigger the crop. Its only as good as I want it to be.

My boss knows and old buddy I used to race with. He himself is a car builder and calls me a farmer.

Still love cars and plan to get my old car running but gardrning has just taken over all my free time. My garden is not your typical garden just like most of us. It is truely a beautiful fruit forest.

Stawberries in June
Blueberries in July
Rapberries in July to freeze
Blackberries in July-August
Gooseberries in July
Watermelon in August to freeze
Cateloupe in August to freeze
Peaches from July-August
Nectarine July-August
Asian Pears October
Sweet Cherrie TBD
Sour Cherries June-July