Diagnose Crab Apple Tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I’m looking for some help with my crab apple tree please. It’s Malus Profusion and the leaves have started to die off. Might be mildew, but if it is, the spray I’ve bought for that isn’t helping (by which I mean the leaves continue to die and fall off).
83721932-E712-4ED0-A728-8A8919A6ACC0.jpeg

7796162F-41D9-406B-933D-53C3184C7FEC.jpeg
DB4CF086-83AC-4F20-B09D-0C38B69D84F5.jpeg
BE01E0F6-3C9E-4879-A3C3-71E8EDF01969.jpeg

thanks in advance!
Jonny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I found the above link for you on ebay @jonisykes. There's been a lot of mildew this summer, probably due to the humidity we've been experiencing.
Welcome to the forum :) I think profusion is one of the best crab apples you can grow, and I hope you will be able to nurse it back to health again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So you think it’s mildew then?
I can Google how to handle mildew if it is.
As I said in my OP, I have some spray which targets mildew. Shall I just continue the treatment every 14 days or so? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is likely, however not easy to swear on it from photos. Can you see any insects of any sort under the leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot no. I’ve checked a few times and there’s no visible sign of bugs. I’ll upload a few more pics tomorrow to help.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The reason I sent you the link, is that the mix I found on ebay is as close to bordeaux mix as I have found, and this does a jolly good job. It has been impossible to find as it was banned about 7 years ago in the UK. You can pay a fortune for other stuff that's not so good!! This covers rather more than just mildew if you read the details. I would first use this mix, and see how it seems to work - if it appears to help, I would use it again a few days later, and each week thereafter.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You can sign up to Blightwatch for free. It gives you an alert when the conditions are right for blight in your area so you know when to spray :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Tetters. I’ve sprayed the first application today (first dry day in a while here in Manchester).
I shall report back in a few days/weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guess what @jonisykes I checked my crab apple trees (15 still potted whips) and they are also suffering the same :rolleyes: it must be the weather - ah well, onwards and upwards aye :alien:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With gardening, none of us knows it all. It's a learning process for all time. Very often if you take notice enough your plants will tell you when something is wrong. All part of the fun, and I for one will never be put off :giggle:

Ask a Question