Crabapple Questions from a noob

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have this Crabapple I just got. I'm new to these as historically I've mostly grown Japanese Maples. At any rate, this tree was clearanced as it looked funky and was listing to the side hard. I repotted it and straightened it, but it still has REALLY long and gangly branches all to one side for the most part. Trying to figure how how, when, and how severely to prune this tree to get it more reasonably shaped and I hoped for some experienced advice. Also, as a bonus, I found what could be a mini Crabapple growing on my property near where my neighbors tree drops its fruit. The leaf looks different, but I THINK seeds dont always grow the same exact specimen correct? At any rate, is pic two a Crabapple or am I wasting time on a weed? Much thanks in advance and any advice on either situation is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210503_200018.jpg
    20210503_200018.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210503_201426.jpg
    20210503_201426.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the tree you bought would be better planted in the ground, and left to settle before doing anything else to it, and your second picture certainly looks like an apple leaf to me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tetters, thanks for the reply. That's the plan. Once in the ground though, any thoughts about pruning? I have another neighbor down the road who has a crab apple with really leggy branches like this and I really dont want this one to end up like that as it looks so weird. In the picture, most of these branches are being reinforced upright to prevent them from being near horizontal and drooping like a weeping cherry if this helps at all.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it helps. Have a look at this crab apple
1620234812298.png
this is a 'weeping' tree. If you chopped it`s branches off it would look horrendous right?

If you just bought this tree, I think it would be a plan to find out from the seller what variety you have. Until then, don`t cut it, just get it in the ground and look after it for a while to see how it wants to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Note this part of the article above...

Pruning
Crabapples keep their shape without much pruning. The only time to prune crabapple trees is in winter to remove dead, decaying, or diseased branches.

Ask a Question