Darling dahlias ..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks Verdun and England is known for its rain so maybe I could risk it? Pardon my ignorance but we are 1 month into Spring here. Is that too late to plant dahlias?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@DeborahJane I don't dig them up any more. In fact, those I dug up died. Choose a dry and hot spot and with any luck, they will set seeds and you might even end up with new flowers. Dahlias are very good. You can raise them from seeds and see their flowers the same year. Have a go and go for dinner plate ones or collarettes, they are fantastic.

My temperature range is from 30c to -4c.. But my garden has about more than half a day of sunshine and is on the dry side.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Deborah, wait until last frosts have passed and you can plant out.
Im in a mild part of the country in Cornwall and frosts are few and far between.
I regularly watch Gardening Australia online.....do you watch it?:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Deborah, wait until last frosts have passed and you can plant out.
Im in a mild part of the country in Cornwall and frosts are few and far between.
I regularly watch Gardening Australia online.....do you watch it?:)
Yes Verdun, I watch Gardening Australia, 6.30 Saturday evening. If we are going out to dinner I book a table for 7.30 so I can watch it before we go out. I also watch it on iview so I can hear all that information again.:). The show has been going for a long time, about 30 years I think and I can't believe i didn't watch it right back then. Unfortunately I wasn't a gardener. :(. Can't believe I wasted so much of my time not being interested.:eek:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! I love the blue pompon. I have never seen this in real life. All I see is yellow, white and pink pompon. I'd love to have one! Thank you for the link, @LouisFerdinand !

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
John, it could be photoshopped though! If you look further on that link, some of the flowers just don't look real!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love those speckled dahlias! I've seen them somewhere else called candy cane, or some such

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could be true or they let the dahlia drink ink - just as they do with orchids. After you bought it and it will turn back to its original colour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I planted dahlias for the first time last spring. The blooms were huge and beautiful, but the stems did not stand erect - they curled on the ground. How can I correct this?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You need support or props such as metal support or cane support. That's the trouble with dahlias, especially the big dinner plate such as Café au Lait. It's well WORTH the effort!

Please have a look at this webpage and be amazed by the dedication dahlia lovers have ..

Last edited:

Ask a Question