Oh, please share your delights ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks alp! The type I got don't get that tall. So later this fall, I can just dig up the tubers and then what...keep them inside in a paper bag and a dark place, then replant in spring?

Sorry for what is probably a rather basic question, but I've never done this with tubers or bulbs or anything. Unless we have a crazy warm winter they likely won't survive up here.

Follow the giant's (@Verdun ) advice please and I am sure you will be a dahlia lover next year, like me!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Gorgeous! I have some too, and had no idea I could dig up tubers and replant in spring! Does this apply to all varieties?
I did have some come back on their own a couple of years ago but thought they had re-seeded.
Just took these of a couple of my humble dahlias. Aww, the pink one has a tiny bee on it.View attachment 26053 View attachment 26054

Hi, @Beth_B - depends on very much how cold your winter is and how soggy your soil is. More the sogginess which rot the tuber.. Lovely dahlias.. Thank you sooo much for sharing.. Happiness and joy are best shared.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some interesting Dahlia talk here, as the climate warms and winters are not so cold, Dahlias will stay in the ground in all but the wettest soil, wet is a problem for Dahlias overwintering in the ground as they are susceptible to rot in such conditions.We have quite light but peaty soil here and all ours stay out. My grandfather who was on clay soil brought all his into the shed dried them and stored them in wooden trays till the new shoots appeared in Spring.

I wish I had a grandfather who taught me all about gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Remember, every tuber needs a piece of stem.
The "eye" method relies on waiting until spring and is much, much slower in producing large plants. Frankly, too slow and too laborious for (impatient) me :)
When you dig up the tubers have a good look at them.....do they have a few stems and can you pull them apart by those stems? If so you will immediately have new plants :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I were a gardener like @Verdun . Since I'm not, I must take more cuttings before my luck diminishes ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I divided Dahlia tubers for the first time this past spring. Did my research first and made sure, as Verdun has stated, that each got a piece of that stem. For the first few years my tubers would never survive storage over winter. I always had to toss them out and buy some. Then a lady told me to stop taking the dirt off the tubers when you dig them up in the fall. Let them dry will that dirt on. I haven't lost a tuber since.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I must remember this tip from @johnny canoe . Very useful.

Today's latest darling.. cringe, cringe! Haha!

When I looked at the label, I thought of the beautiful dahlias I saw in the Dahlia Walk in Biddulph Grange. The upper is cream/apricot whilst the underside is darker and they looked fantastic and the division of colours was just so clean, so I bought this pack - art nouveau.

SAM_1150.JPG

SAM_1140.JPG

Apparently, the artist is an understudy! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
There might be repeats

Crazy Love £1 tuber from Wilko
SAM_0009.JPG

SAM_0008.JPG

These are all the 50p reduced stock from B&Q
SAM_0012.JPG

Now I have tons of them
My favorite dinner plate

SAM_0018.JPG

SAM_0016.JPG

SAM_0047.JPG

Tsuki no yori
SAM_0006.JPG
SAM_0007.JPG

Truly stunningly different!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
When storing the tubers, turn them upside down, the moisture with drain away.
@johnny canoe the soil does help. I used to save the paper potatoe sacks to put them in afterwards.
@alp their amazing as always. I told you, you will get the flowers. Great.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When storing the tubers, turn them upside down, the moisture with drain away.
@johnny canoe the soil does help. I used to save the paper potatoe sacks to put them in afterwards.
@alp their amazing as always. I told you, you will get the flowers. Great.

But some still haven't flowered. One was rescued from under the denson tree and hasn't even had a bud. With this weather, touch and go. I will keep them in the ground and cover them with mulch 1 foot tall. I'm too lazy to bother .. I am taking cutting and it's 50/50 ..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp it's the wrong time to take cuttings. If you keep them in the ground over winter, it's the wet that will make them rot, not the frost. Perhaps don't leave them all in.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's why I don't have to worry as Essex is very dry. I have successfully kept several dahlias throughout 2 winters. And if the going gets tough, I will top the soil up with a foot of compost. We don't have wet winters here in my garden as it is west and south facing. It's an oven..

Ask a Question