MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MaryMary Do you grow any Dahlias?

No, but I might someday. I like to know the "how to" of a lot of things. :geek:

Sometimes when someone asks a question, it piques my interest, and I will exercise my google-fu to learn more about it. If that leads me to have a question, I'll usually ask it on the forum. I figure... if I have this question, even after going to read more about it, they might, too. (y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary Go for dinner plate dahlias - you will like them. Or Teesbrooke Audry, Night butterfly. Just buy a packet of seeds called collarette dahlia or Dandy and you will have flower next year if you sow them in spring. It's that satisfying.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:love: I love this one. The one called Art Nouveau. upload_2017-9-10_22-46-16.jpeg upload_2017-9-10_22-45-41.jpeg

And this bright pink pompom one. upload_2017-9-10_22-50-13.jpeg

Beautiful. :love:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A new one but it is a bit banal
IMGA0079.JPG

This is another dinner plate, but not so pink as the other one

IMGA0066.JPG

A new dinner plate, with new velvety scarlet colour - This is my sweet surprise today
IMGA0078.JPG
IMGA0061.JPG
IMGA0062.JPG

Hope I have fired your passion for dahlia dinner plates.. Make sure you can get staking bamboos cheap ..

Attachments

• IMGA0077.JPG
    IMGA0077.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 229

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some more dahlias

A very unfortunate Edge of Joy from @Beaus Mum, I think! Sorry, the slugs have consumed its glory..
SAM_0122.JPG

SAM_0130.JPG
SAM_0131.JPG

This could be blue bird

SAM_0117.JPG
SAM_0118.JPG

SAM_0138.JPG

SAM_0141.JPG

SAM_0142.JPG

Their names are still a mystery to me... They don't look exactly the same as the pics .. I blame myself and THEM!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Shame I never know their names. I keep some records and yet they don't look exactly the same. I bought from several places and some supplier is famous for not sending the right things! You know what I mean!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@MaryMary Two years ago, I was quite new to dahlias. I used to think they are old fashioned. I bought some dahlia tubers, thinking that if I separated them, I would have at least 4 or 6 new plants. Then suddenly, some veteran said that if you separated the tuber and left it with no eye, there would be no flower at all.

Here is a photo of dahlia with eyes circled.

View attachment 26077

Best is to leave the whole clump alone and wait for spring and once they are out, you can do this.

Take cuttings with a bit of tuber material..

Or mulch it like her if your area is not wet and soggy

I hope she gives me commission .. hehe!
That was really interesting alp. Thanks. I've planted a few dahlias but they've disappeared. I tend to overplant, forget where I put things and they get crowded out and loose the sun.. I loved that bit in the clip that says to put a duvet over them, i.e. a bucket of mulch. Has anyone tried this rather than digging them up. I'm wondering if I could plant them in the triangle part of my partere which would help to keep them upright.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
That was really interesting alp. Thanks. I've planted a few dahlias but they've disappeared. I tend to overplant, forget where I put things and they get crowded out and loose the sun.. I loved that bit in the clip that says to put a duvet over them, i.e. a bucket of mulch. Has anyone tried this rather than digging them up. I'm wondering if I could plant them in the triangle part of my partere which would help to keep them upright.
@DeborahJane it all depends on how wet their going to be in the winter. It's not the frost that kills them, it's the wet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks Logan. The ground does get wet here. The area I'm thinking is on a bit of a slope so I'm thinking drainage but I'm just wishful thinking, very lazily:sleep::rolleyes:.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont think I have ever lost a dahlia over winter.
Used to hate them...big blowsy and gaudy. They lack humility don't they and nothing to see all winter :( However........
They are now a big part of my garden......some tall yellows as I look through the window; way taller than I am and sheer flower power from June to autumn.
I will add a couple more when they become available but will also give some over brash ones away.
As long as tubers have a stem they will grow when divided :)

Ask a Question