Cute name for a cute plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lol, I'm a vegetarian so I don't find the Sausage Tree too appealing.
Dinosaur food is a very cute name!:D
This plant is called Kangaroo Paws:

pc271396-kangaroo-paws.jpg

Reaction score
I just love it! Both the plant and the name. I will buy a small cactus for my future mother in law an I will tell her the name. Haha
A plant name that always makes me laugh is Mother-In-Law’s-Cushion. The plant itself looks like this:

golden_barrel_cactus.jpg

I guess the person who named it didn't like his mother in law too much:p

Reaction score
Lol, I'm a vegetarian so I don't find the Sausage Tree too appealing.
Dinosaur food is a very cute name!:D
This plant is called Kangaroo Paws:

pc271396-kangaroo-paws.jpg

That plant is so cute, it looks like little hands. It reminds me of something from a Dr. Seuss book.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The Black Tail Mountain Watermelon always has made me laugh. What is that about? I wonder who comes up with these names, but most important why ???:D

I know that there are both white tail deer, and black tail deer, so maybe Black Tail Mountain was named because there were a lot of black tailed deer to be found up there ?

It is just a guess, but I cannot think of any other reason to name a mountain that, and who knows why they were growing a special watermelon up there either ?

Reaction score
Great observation happyflowerlady :) but i think it has a lot to do with the watermelon being so black.

Attachments

• watermelon.jpg
    watermelon.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 434
Reaction score
Great observation happyflowerlady :) but i think it has a lot to do with the watermelon being so black.

That is so weird, I don't think I've ever seen a black watermelon like that in Florida. Do they taste the same as other watermelons?
They look like they should be licorice flavored. :p

Reaction score
In Romania we have a lot of weird names for plants and I will try to translate some of them to you. What do you say about Cuckoo's shoe? I mean, have you ever seen a bird wearing shoes? Butter and Eggs is called Lion's mouth in my country. We also have a flower called simple Good morning! Another one Little axes :)) I will try to remember some other weird names :)

Reaction score
Hi there, do you know what this plant is named? It's really fascinating and is in Mission Beach (San Diego) California. Thanks!

aflmbue.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Jewell, I honestly donvt know. I've seen it at a beach house over the last minth and am still stumped. Shes a beauty for sure. I yhink it's still growing because it's seemed to have gotten larger, or more puffed out. Great mystery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jerry Hall, wow, is it a real plant? I've never seen anything like it, it looks so weird, almost like it was made from a very thick paper. I find it hard to believe that it's not man made:p

Reaction score
I saw this on a mystery show where the two ladies are gardeners. I thought it was such a cute name I had to look it up. Mind Your Own Business is part of the nettle family and is known more scientifically as Soleirolia soleirolii and it's a vigorous creeping plant. It is ideal when planted as ground or wall cover and is covered with tiny green, silver or golden leaves, depending on the variety chosen.

. View attachment 480
It's the small leaved plant at the back

That plant is so beautiful, I might consider getting one in the future (I like creeping plants), plus the name is really funny! I guess this plant does a great job at covering, and that's why someone came up with that name ;) That's actually a good thing if you're worried about your privacy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In Romania we have a lot of weird names for plants and I will try to translate some of them to you. What do you say about Cuckoo's shoe? I mean, have you ever seen a bird wearing shoes? Butter and Eggs is called Lion's mouth in my country. We also have a flower called simple Good morning! Another one Little axes :)) I will try to remember some other weird names :)
These are all very funny and weird names, especially the Little Axes sound interesting. Does the plant really look like small axes? It would be hilarious:D. I also like the name Good Morning and Cuckoo's Shoes, I think that they sound very sweet:)

Ask a Question